mic for mostly indoors with comsumer camcorder

movieman1005

I am new to this website. I tried a while ago to sign up, but must have been doing it wrong. Ive been posting ?s on indietalk for a while with much help. However, I wnat to get much more advice from different ppl. My main > first regards mics. I want 1 primarliy for indoor recording. Any sugg? I could prob. spend up to 1000, but with accesories it would be nice of the mic was a little less. Also, if im connecting a mic (which im guessing will be an xlr?) to a regular cam., should i use converting cables or a beachtek adaptor? Ive heard positive feedback on beachtek, but they seem much more expensive. If i can get away with cheaper, im taking it. I want to use it with a canon hv30, which ill hopefully buy soon. Ive done a lot of research, so Im not completly new to this. Ive recently come across the sennheiser me66. Feedback on this? Any other sugg? I want to buy something already, darnit! srry, ive just been looking for sooo long. And can you post links if possible for buying accesories for mics. I get very confused on exactly what i would have to buy, especially cables. Thanks, srry its a lot.
p.s. Heres my situation. I'm in high school and have made videos in past, but want to make good-looking MOVIES now. like feature length. I have many willing friends to cast and help, but i feel i need to be in charge of all the behind the scenes type of stuff. I love suspense and action, and of course, great films witha a great story. I dont really plan on spending money for filming. Ive got friends homes and land, etc. Thats just crazy for me to do that, in my opinion. Ill probably be spending enough on equipment as it is. Thank you friends

I'll answer your other post first. Here's a DIY boompole:

As far as mics...

Just as you would light differently and perhaps use a different lenses indoors as opposed to outdoors the same applies to how you would choose your mics. For outdoors you can't beat a shotgun mic, but shotgun mics are not always the best choice for indoors as their pickup pattern tend to give you that "roomy" ambient sound. A non-shotgun cardioid condensor mic would be a better choice.

Many vendors have kits that include a shotgun mic, shockmount, softie and boompole for under $600. Audio-Technica, Sennhieser, Rode and Beyerdynamic are all good choices. Look at their non-shotgun cardioid condensor mics for indoors.

For connecting the mic(s) to a camera with a mini-pin connector you may want to check out the Beachtek DXA-6VU. Phantom power, volume control, level meters and will mount between the camera and the tripod. Not bad for under $300.

Don't forget to get QUALITY cables such as Pro Co or Monster. A little more expensive but they save you money in the long run.

You may want to check out my blog on production sound here:

Please fell free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't buy a ME66. You pay for the name, and the off-axis sound coloration hurts it. It's not bad, but especially on indoors you can get more from your money. Shotguns are designed for exteriors anyway as they pickup sound behind them (which indoors means picking up sound reverb off walls and the ceiling)

Go with an AKG SE300B / CK93 combo (power supply and hyper cap) which works fantastic indoors. Grab a bbg, and Sound Devices MM-1 pre-amp (the pre-amps on cameras are crap, Sound Devices make some of the best stuff and most rugged in the business)

I have been editing the forums so we have best updated information and the links in this post went to pages and website that are no longer available. I think the intent and information was good so if you happen to see this please feel free to update with new links.

Kim

Network Sponsors

Back