Matching skintones

illia

I´ve just shot a commertial that took place outdoors in what was supposed to be a garden at early in the morning.
As the main character arrived at 15pm (first nightmare) and we had to shoot 4 different situations we were in a big hurry... as usual the sun did set down before we finished and as I only had two small hmi´s I couldn´t bring back a natural light to all the set. Nevertheless we did our best but yesturday, on color correction, I found that the face of the main character, who was shot on last place, was so red and unpleasant as a boboon (...) anyway, to prevent that I took care of recording a grey card as many times as I could (not as many as I would have to) but as I arrived to post when the commertials were already edited nobody wanted to loose time searching for the grey cards... we had to correct by eye and I´m not satisfied with the result...
Are they any filters to correct the redish dominant of the sun setting... I guess that another option I should have took is to light the main character with an hmi even with the risk of loosing naturality... Is it a good idea to try to make the color correction on the set with the color matrix of the digital cameras or is it just a way of getting a worse result (we didn´t have well balanced hd screens nor waveform monitors... I guess the producer wanted me to have a nervous breackdown!!!)
Anyway, thanks for the tips on how to shoot on exteriors, they were pretty usefull mr Mullen!

You could do it any number of ways, most of which you mentioned. Camera white-balancing, switching to a less warm correction (in a Sony camera, switching for the daylight D filter to the halfway C filter for a cooler look), color-correcting in post, playing with the Matrix to reduce the red, lighting, etc.

Network Sponsors

Back