Mac or PC???

Rxbandit3385

Hey everyone im going into film next year, and I desperately need advice on what i should get. a mac or pc. Which one is the cheaper way out and still get something that can put out some good quality stuff?thanks

The choice isn't really between Mac or PC, it's between the software that runs on them. Mac has Final Cut, Avid and a couple of other packages, PC has Premiere, Avid, Vegas, Edition, and a bunch of other packages... I'd pick the software you want to use and then buy the machine it runs on.

Both MacOS and Windows XP come with cheap and cheerful editing programs of their own (and there's a free but crippled version of Avid that runs on either): I don't know how the free software that's included with Macs compares to PCs as I've never used those programs.

You should choose whatever system you are comfortable with, both mac and PC can get the job done, and often have identicle software, for example you can run Adobe products on both, and you can do graphics, effects, video editing etc. on both.

PC's will probably run a little cheaper than a mac, simply because there are many more PC builders out there than Apple Mac builders.

I say stick with what you know, what you grew up with or used at school all the time.

Mac or PC???

I agree with Mark and DrJones here. There are many threads stating a preference but having experienced editing / working on both platforms, I feel there is little to distinguish them. If you have a powerful enough system and are comfortable with the editing software, it's the contents of your movie that count rather than the box your plugged in to making it. That is what will be judged by viewers.

Equipment I use:

Althon XP3200+ U160 RAID (Windows 2000 pro)
Ulead Mediastudio Pro 7.2
Ulead DVD workshop
Dazzle DV Bridge for analogue video input

Sony VX9000e (century optics 16:9 anamorphic lense)
Sony HC14e (with century optics 16:9 anamorphic lense - really!)
Canon 514 XL Super 8mm

I must go against the stream here.
I agree that it really is the content that count, but it´s always good to know more then one editing program. The one´s to know now days is Avid and Final Cut. I´m not going to go into which you should use, but by using a PC you limit yourself since Final cut only runs on Mac.
My vote goes towards a mac since it gives you choice of both avid and final cut.

After converting to Mac and therefore FCP just last year i think one should be fluent with both systems.. I was completly comfortable with Premiere for over two years, and then when entering film school our uni has a real 'pro Mac anti PC' attitude. I think after using both extensivley, Mac & FCP is the way to go, for capabilities and ease of use but saying that if all your friends use mac, your uni use mac then, you get a mac so everyting is capatible, or vise versa with a PC. I found that buying a G4 powerbook was my best purchase to date and my PC sits in the closet gathering dust since that day.

James.

More choice on the way?

More choice on the way?

Further to MarkG's response: It might be worth considering waiting to see what the new X86 based macs are priced like. That way whether your a Windows or OSX fan, they can both run on the same machine (even co-exist). You'll not be limited by software choice then.

Network Sponsors

Back