Best Camera for Mac and FCE

Ekmatt

Hello!

I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times but I'm trying to figure out what camera is best compatible with Mac software (FCE, iMovie, FCP)?

I'm not picky over price and I'm intermediate with my film knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Cameras and Macs

Cameras and Macs

For iMovie Apple is recommending the "iFrame" codec., because that's what iMovie converts input video to. I'm not sure if that means everything is reduced to 960X540, as that is the standard iFrame format; I think there may be higher formats allowed. Be sure to check that out. Apple's support page is not clear on that.

For FCP-X a camera that records in some flavor of ProRes would be ideal, but I only know of the ARRI Alexa for that.

FCP-X tech specs claim "native" editing support for just about every format, but an "intra-frame" codec is the most efficient. Also, I haven't been able to find out yet, but I would like to know if there is an intra-frame format that uses the same exact compressed individual frames as ProRes, so that re-compression of the frame is not done, but only copying of the compressed frames as-is into a new container file. That would be ideal.

For professional work I would recommend:
-intra-frame,
-4:2:2 (at least)
-50Mbps minimum, preferably 100Mbps
-24 FPS native

Network Sponsors

Back