Low Budget Lightning

F

FilmUnited

I want to shoot an indoor nighttime scene where it is raining outside, and I do not have any budget for rain machines. I would like to show my character sitting in front of a window and have a few flashes of lightning illuminate the face. Does anyone have suggestions for a good way to do this on a low budget? I plan to expose a stop or more under on the face and have the lighting flashes go around 3 stops over, but I am concerned about making the "flicker" look realistic.

Corey

The cheap way I use of creating lightning is to get some metal venetian blinds for an HMI. However, they make some noise as you slap the blinds open and close quickly (and randomly).

Thanks for the replies.

I will look into both of the techniques suggested.

As for the brightness of the lightening, does 3 stops over sound acceptable?

Also, is the color temperature of the source of any importance? I was considering throwing an 1/8 or 1/4 CTB on the lightening light but I don't know what the common practice is with the pros.

Thanks again,

Corey Eisenstein

That is a good point about the background.

You're right, I forgot to specify film or DV. The answer is film, 16mm. Most likely Vision2 200T or 500T.

Is there a movie that you know offhand that implements good lightening effects that I could watch for refrence?

Thanks,

Corey Eisenstein

Network Sponsors

Back