Location Sound Workshops?

T

Timothy

Greetings, I am looking to break into location sound work. I have done some work with local indie film makers. This has whetted my desire to gain more training so that I can offer a more professional product and hopefully allow me to work towards the "Pro" ranks. There are plenty of workshops for film folks but I have not seen much offered for location sound folks. Does anyone know of any workshop resources that focuses on creating professional level sound? So far, The Maine Media Workshop, in Rockport Maine, is the only program that I have found. Thank you, in advance!

Re: Info Sought

Re: Info Sought

I am amazed that there has not been any "hits" with information on workshops! As important as sound is, one would think that there would be opportunities to expand ones' knowledge on the craft. Sounds like a great business op for someone who has a solid background in location sound!

I don't know of much in the way of production sound educational courses, etc.

If you are not aware of them, there are two places where production sound pros congregate:

jwsound

On the rare occasions they talk about getting into the production sound fraternity most seem to have an extensive - although general - knowledge of all aspects of sound techniques, etc. and then educate themselves on the specifics of production sound on the way up the production sound ladder, starting out as a cable wrangler, then as a boom op and finally becoming the production sound mixer.

You may also want to check out:

equipment emporium

And you are right about how neglected sound is, most especially in the low/no/micro budget film world, and they are even more ignorant of audio post than they are of production sound. As an audio post guy working on primarily indie projects most of my work is fixing truly horrendous production sound.

When I tell people that I do audio post they say "sound is so important", which is really stupid; it's like telling a DP or editor (many of whom don't understand sound either) that pictures are important - they just don't get it!

"Sound is half of the experience" - Steven Spielberg

Good luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't post workshops advertising in the forums.

We don't post workshops advertising in the forums.

Please don't post links advertising for these businesses even though i know you may like them and approve. Let them know that they can reach out to our community and support us through very low cost advertising instead.

Last edited:
With the exception of Sound Emporium they are not businesses, they are just forums for production sound people.

Network Sponsors

Back