One Location Challenge

sedohrman13

A while back, I was challenged by a potential producer with some real connections who asked, 'Do you have a script or creative idea that unfolds in a single place but is still creatively mind-blowing?' I had a pretty good idea and I was able to get it kind of far in the Hollywood pipeline but it made me think, that challenge is more relevant than ever. What about you? It's not all about space ships and grand manors.

I'm curious - what about YOU? Do you have anything artistically stunning yet strategically simple to shoot and edit? Could you tweak one of your ideas to get it into a logistically simple shoot scenario?

I watched a few movies that were shot in one location. One example is 12 Angry Men (1957). Most of the movie takes place in a jury room, where twelve jurors deliberate the guilt or innocence of a defendant. I loved that movie, even though it was shot in black and white more than half a century ago. Another example is The Divide (2011), a movie that was 90% shot in the basement of an apartment building. The action was not happening in one room, but the locations were limited. The story and the impact on the viewer's emotions and thoughts were strong.

And, as a matter of fact, I want to shoot a short film in one location - one room. I have not started writing the script yet, but the topic is about mental health. Having one character and one room. The way he talks to himself, his behaviour, his thoughts.

Network Sponsors

Back