Location scout, costume test, VFX test, Miniature set etc

Hello there fellow filmmakers It’s Asher Pike. Here is my Pre-Production so far on my live action Feature film, sequel to my animated feature (the kings world:duel of shades) and the live action short (the king world:battle of the soul) of 2020. Your criticism and feedback as always is implored/welcome.

Pre-Production of THE KINGS WORLD:War of the Void. Day 28.

Brief premise: The fantasy world of The Kings is under control of the SPIRIT OF DARKNESS. Which is everyone’s fears, doubts and nightmares made real in physical enemy form. This spirit uses a seemingly helpless puppet named Soulor as its vessel of conquest and evil. This puppets brother, Afiseron will do anything to free his demented twin and if he can-destroy the evil spirit plaguing the world of the Kings. This is an original story made by me also, original characters and properties.

First off here is some costume design! The first cinematic test of Soulor the (more or less) Main character. The story behind his armor is that he made it for his father when he was a very young boy. So it Is raggedly forged and the edges are not refined. Soulor chooses to wear this armor now to remember his father and hide his scars Inflicted by the spirit controlling him. Also I tried to give it many scars and scratches so that it also looks like it is war torn as well. Does this work? What do you think? I made the helmet and chest pieces from black plastic pots and stuck them together. The blue screen I used is only temporary made from sheets lol, I will buy and set up a proper blue and green screen before production starts.

Here is a VFX Cinematic test scene of a ThunderGhost Spinosaurus Dinosaur. There will be a lot of dinosaurs, wolves, dragons, krakens, sea serpents in the film. Each one is made from (for example) a specific doubt or fear you may have. Which manifests into one of these beasts depending on its potency. There will be a massive climactic battle with armies of these beasts. Problem is I don’t have the budget to make these creatures too realistic like in Jurassic park, but ive tried to test out a method that makes that fact okay to the audience and still fits with story. Which is to make the monsters ghost/nightmarish like. Which makes sense since they are a product of the mind. So here is a cinematic test of one. I would really love to know what you think of it, is it good enough for live action? Any tips and suggestions? I used real cloud textures which I took photos of to make and animate it. (Disclaimer). The background nature footage is not filmed by me, the nature backgrounds are purely for personal testing of the asset and not public distribution. It is unlisted and will be made completely private once good feedback is gained.

First location scout!
This is a location scout done on the 2nd of January. Samford, Cedar Creek Australia. For this location I am hoping to film a fight scene between two characters who are past-friends. They are having a very drastic quarrel and fight here, both blaming each other for a very unfortunate occurrence.
Heres what I‘d like to know. Which would be more affective, a fight in the rain, or a fight in a normal day, or a fight at sunset golden hour. I know that going to shoot on a rainy day may seem dangerous but trust me Samford doesn’t really flood, even when and after it rains it’s as if the water barely rises. We scouted it just after it rained so yeah. Which setting would you think suits best for an emotionally driven fight scene? Right now I’m thinking either rain or golden hour.

Lastly here is the latest step I guess which is starting on the first miniature set that this films story requires. Which is the maze of all knowledge, which is a 7 level maze/land mass protecting a central altar which can grant infinite knowledge. It was seen first in the animated previous movie so it’s awesome trying to make it in live action now for the first time. The first level is the forest of whispers which will be in the place of that flat strip of dirt where the miniature box starts. I probably will just edit in the forest top texture over that section, or pain stakingly make the roof of a forest manually. The big gap is where I will put a blue screen and replace with an ocean in editing that will seperate the forest from the mountains of buried dreams which come after. After those is a field of spikes which I won’t spoil, followed by a field of reflection and then the tower. And then the final seventh level is the single altar itself and the consequences that follow in its use. (For those who saw the first movie you may be asking, “hey! Why is there an ocean where there used to be a swamp in the animated film, or “why is there a field of spikes where there used to be that ruined city.” Sadly I can’t spoil much for now except that the world has changed Lol. Really hope you are interested!
Making miniature behind scenes #1

making miniature behind scenes #2

and I’ll also attach Photos of the set too so far,

Thank you VERY MUCH if you give any advise or suggestions I really appreciate it. Soon maybe even in a few days or a week at most I’ll be able to share with you the first cinematic wide shot of the maze of all knowledge. With the fully edited skies, oceans and colorings. This is my biggest project yet. Thanks so much. Hope your all having a great new year Keep it up!

Attachments

• 236C9076-1559-48D4-8394-A386155C8D80.jpeg
    236C9076-1559-48D4-8394-A386155C8D80.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 921B0741-D425-4DEE-A2B4-2714BA7A35AF.jpeg
    921B0741-D425-4DEE-A2B4-2714BA7A35AF.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 201
  • D7822AF6-A180-4786-A840-E8BC4944567D.jpeg
    D7822AF6-A180-4786-A840-E8BC4944567D.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 199
  • 9C9F27E5-A5E2-4997-8660-5BF2E736231A.jpeg
    9C9F27E5-A5E2-4997-8660-5BF2E736231A.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Hello there fellow filmmaker! This is a very complex and descriptive post about locations, you sure do your homework before working on a project!

A miniature set? That is very cool! As always, you have very complex ideas. Did you choose any location yet?

Very nice! I would suggest giving the dinosaur animation a bit more fluidity if you’re set on going the CG route, which is fine——but it could be a good idea to use some stop motion dino puppets as well.

Network Sponsors

Back