psypent81

Hey everyone!
I'm relatively new to this whole filmaking genre, and I wanted to see if anyone knew of any particular places in downtown LA where I can get a really good shot of Downtown LA (Specifically the skyscrapers). I wanted a shot where the buildings fill up the shot, preferably on a rooftop. I was hoping that someone has heard of or knows about a place that has really nice views and is accesible to anyone.
If know one knows, can you at least tell me some tips or point me in the right direction of how I should approach location scouting?
I went with a friend o mine, and we found a couple of spots, but nothing that was "IN" downtown. it was more on the outskirts, and I'm looking for something closer.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

-Psypent

You need a permit to be shooting on the streets of LA, and if you go into a building, you'll need permission. Of course, you can always risk "stealing" a shot if you move quickly enough... Permits are not that hard to get though.

There are some empty parking lots in Little Tokyo and some rooftop views (like from the New Otani Hotel I suspect -- haven't been up there in a while) that look west at the skyline close. I'd scout some of the rooftops of parking structures there.

The bridges that span the 110 freeway near 5th have good close views of the buildings looking east. There might be some parking structures on the west side of the 110 freeway with a higher view. Even farther west are some empty hilltop lots, sort of around 3rd.

Farther away and higher might be Dodger Stadium (and even much farther, Griffith Observatory) for higher angles of downtown looking east. Looking west at the skyline from a distance, there are some hills near County USC Hospital area.

But if you want closer shots of downtown buildings, your best bet are the rooftop floors of parking structures in the area.

There's an amazing northward view of the skyline from the rooftop of the Transamerica building, which is south of downtown around 11th and Olive. I've never been in the Staples Center, but it may also have a good north-facing view. But the most famous views of the modern glass structures are usually from the 110 freeway direction, or on the opposite side of it, looking east at the Bonaventure, etc.

David,

Are the permits free or does the city charge? (this assuming you're just a shooting solo)

Chris
________
VAPOR TOWER VAPORIZER

Last edited:
I'm sure there is a charge but I don't know what it is. Wouldn't hurt to ask at the City of LA permit office. Maybe they even have a website...

Hey David,
Thanks a lot of for the info, I really appreciate it.
Another question, and this is similar to the one I asked.
I am looking for that "Neon-y feel" downtown LA. SO far I found this great location with great architechture, and for some reason, there are a TON of neon lights that are part of the structure. Its on Los Angeles and 2nd St. Its this business building (Which I am stil trying to figure out where I can access those stairs and ultimately, the top o that building, becauase it has a great shot of all of downtown, plus its pretty close.) It was great.
I might was well tell you what I ma using this for.
I am trying to make a little "Mafia" short, you know, the whole Neo Tokyo kinda feel. Nightime, neon lights a plenty. I am big on architecture, so I am trying to find some aesthetic places to fill up the shot with.
Thanks, and I will keep hunting

-Psypent

Network Sponsors

Back