Local Pizza Shop Promo Video Experience

I recently made a short promotional video for a local pizzeria. I'm very new to doing video work for businesses but I thought I'd share my experience anyway.

One thing I've struggled with is finding people/businesses to work with - especially when I didn't have any example work to show. In this case, it was through a friend of a friend who owned the pizzeria. I guess just ask around, ask your friends and family and offer to make some video work for them.

For the setup, I just used a single LED light with a softbox and grid which I used for lighting each shot. I think this is the one thing that most improved the quality of the film. I would have liked to have had a little more bounce light so it wouldn't be as contrasty but I tried to recover some of this in the colour grading.

Let me know if you want to know anything else about the shoot, I'm happy to share, I know I had loads of things on my mind going into it. Also open to critique!

That pizza looks delicious! :) The promo is nice, I like it very much! :D As an advice...you should work on a shorter version of 20-30 seconds as well. What you could also try is to make it a bit more dynamic somehow :D You could show the ingredients in a more dynamic way. And probably a more up beat music would help. Maybe someone from our forums would be more than happy to come with a song for your next project :D There are many who are looking for new experiences.

That pizza looks delicious! :) The promo is nice, I like it very much! :D As an advice...you should work on a shorter version of 20-30 seconds as well. What you could also try is to make it a bit more dynamic somehow :D You could show the ingredients in a more dynamic way. And probably a more up beat music would help. Maybe someone from our forums would be more than happy to come with a song for your next project :D There are many who are looking for new experiences.
Thank you very much for the feedback! I appreciate it!

The quality is very good!! I agree with Maura that you should maybe try to trim it down to 20 seconds maybe and It'd be nice if you could bost the exposure a bit in post, if it doesn't bring up noise :giggle:

I had the same experience as you. I'm new in this business and although some people approached me to do videos but as I didn't have promo videos to show (I mostly did short films and documentaries) they wouldn't agree to pay me for the job. I got kinda frustrated as every job opportunity went down like that, but I can't blame people, I didn't have the means to show them I could do a good job with their money. So a friend offer me to do a free video for a friend who's got a small crafted beer factory (family thing). We did it with what we had but in the way we wanted because we wanted people to say "I want a video like that". And that's what happened. The video got many videos and now people trust us enough to pay us :giggle: So now I'm working on more videos like that one.

Keep doing videos and posting them on social media, I'm sure you'll get recognized soon

This is very well done. As the others have pointed out, it is a little too long in duration but great nonetheless.:)

Excellent job!

The only thing I would say is use a lens with wider F-Stops on the Pizza so we can get a little closer at what is happening with the food and see even more of all the delicious mouth-watering detail.(y)

Did you made more ads after this one? I like your filming style - it's very good! I want to make an add as well for a friend who is doing nails. Any advice on what I should do or not for this?

Did you made more ads after this one? I like your filming style - it's very good! I want to make an add as well for a friend who is doing nails. Any advice on what I should do or not for this?
Hey, thank you! I'd recommend knowing some shots you definitely want to get before going in. Even just a rough shortlist, doesn't need to be a storyboard. I remember the timing being a bit more stressful than expected so knowing what I needed helped me focus during the chaos ahah!

This is a very cool ad, Rowen! Did you make others since then?
Thank you!
Yeah, I ended up doing a video for a local crafts shop and a video for a jewellery shop! Very similar in style but I tried to take on board feedback about reducing the length and getting slightly more fitting music to accompany - thanks to this forum :)

Thank you!
Yeah, I ended up doing a video for a local crafts shop and a video for a jewellery shop! Very similar in style but I tried to take on board feedback about reducing the length and getting slightly more fitting music to accompany - thanks to this forum :)
Incredible work! You improved a lot!

Just as Camina already said, all your hard work lead to better videos! My personal favorite is the story with the seaglass. What could have made the video better would be more of her work, aside from her pendant around her neck and earrings. :) But overall, the story is quite motivational!

Network Sponsors

Back