Lighting question

C

Chance

Hello, I'm not experianced in lighting at all but for a indie I'm doing this year I will have a lighting crew who knows what they are doing. I just need to know what kind of lighting kits I need for all my scenes. There will be indoor and outdoor scenes in day and night. The interior will include houses, hotel, night clubs and maybe a store. Would anyone be kind to list what different kind of lighting kits and tools I would need and possibly a good place to get them? Thanks in advance!

I´m sorry, but it is impossible to answer this question. Why? Most people have this idea that there´s some kind of formula in order for a movie to look good. A formula for good cinematography. Good camera. Good lights. Whatever that stuff means you know. The truth is that it´s all about the story, or should be. How many bedrooms have we all been in in our lives. Some have a clustered feeling, some romatic, some lonely, some ominous, forboding ect ect... The idea is that there are a million different emotions that could be taking place in a location at any time, depending on what´s happening in the story and to the characters. There is no "magical" lighting kit that will make it good. Good is dependent on how you want a given scene to play out emotionally. Sorry to not answer your question, but first ask yourself what the emotional content of the scenes are, and what you would like to feel, and like the audience to feel.

If your lighting crew knows what they are doing, you should try asking them what type of equipment they think you should get. You can try and find equipment rental houses in the city or state that you live in and oftentimes, they can offer advice as to what you might need, although take it with a grain of salt as they're trying to sell their product. You don't give too much information about your production, but I would recommend taking a look at "kino" lights. They're generally cheap to rent, and they can offer a good soft source of light. I would also recommend just searching through this forum if you want to learn more.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by lighting crew? An experienced gaffer?

They'll know what to bring and how to use his/her equipment. Make it a learning experience.

"first ask yourself what the emotional content of the scenes are, and what you would like to feel, and like the audience to feel. Don´t forget the story".

Totally agree with that
This is what would tell you how the scene should look for you. This should come from talks with the director. The best idea is to use as many references as possible: still photography, paintings, still frames of a movie.
Then you could use this references to show to your gaffer (if you´re not familiarized with lighting gear) so he can help you to choose the most apropiate tools.
Best regards

Network Sponsors

Back