Interested in Making Better movies

S

superfly

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around this forum for a while now, this is pretty much exactly the type of forum i've been searching for for a few months - great job you've done here.

I'm interested in doing a better job of our family home movies to start with - i've made one film before which my mates thought was awesome - but to be honest i know it was a glorified home video :).

I have been using a Sony TRV-30E which i know is kinda old and very limited, but until i saw the difference between that and a 3CCD camera output i really didnt know what i was missing!! :shock:

After doing some considerable research, i would love to get the new Canon XH-A1 but it's a bit out of my budget - so i will probably settle for a used GL2 (or XM2) as we shoot PAL over here, on top of which, the uses i will have for the camera at this stage do not require HD, although i've noticed that Mini-DV cameras with XLR inputs are not readily available - however with Beachtek accesories i could add this functionality to the XM2 if i go that route.

I'm not exactly young, however i consider myself a student all the same - i shall be enrolling in a 2 month short course on film to see if i would go for the 2 year diploma - so you can say i'm taking a cautious approach - this "hobby" is kinda expensive!

I've been into photography for a few years now and that is a wonderful thing, having more than "snapshots" of the family, kids, parents, etc...

In any case, i'll be posting in other forums my multitude of questions and am sure you guys will welcome another member into your community.

Thanks.

What software are you using to edit??

I am using Newteks VT 4. You can see my editing system at www.cactusbillproductions.com. I have not had time to update the website with my voice over and control room and production trailer.

Not sure I have been of any help to you but if you have specific questions regarding anything I know a little about video production.

John

Hey John,

Wow, great (and cramped) kinda setup you got there!!

I'm using Premiere Pro 2 right now - i plan on investing in a used RTX100 and also a GL2 (XM2) here.

Monitors are rare in this country! and buying one off Ebay would cost a small fortune to ship!!!

Can i use a normal TV to monitor (kinda like the one you have on the far right side of the table) would a 14" TV do the job? or do i need to have a special video monitor? what added benefit does it bring?

How big is that storage array under the table there? is it SCSI or SATA? i have heard SCSI is still tops - but SATA is catching up fast and much cheaper!

Thanks for your assistance mate.

Network Sponsors

Back