Infared vs black and white

Lazlo

I don't really understand shooting in infared very much. I was wondering what the principal differences would be (contrast, detail, lighting) in shooting in black and white infared vs. just plain black and white.

How does infared film operate differently from non-infared stock-besides being able to see in no light?

also

What is a lux? I know that it represents how well a camera operates in a low light situation (lower lux being better), but what is a lux?

Thanks. [/i]

infrared : the sensitive spectral curve is totally different. You have to understand that infrared is a non seeingable radiation of lower energy that tipically caracterises what we feel like heat. (imagine there would be a 8th ray on a rainbox that you don't see after the red ray) Since bodies, plants, working cars, inhabited houses... send heat, they will be seen by the film stock. That's the way it works. If you use it by night, your eyes don't see the warm objects, but since infrared film does, you'll get an image of these warm objects.

A lux is about the tenth of a footcandle. a footcandle is the quantity of light you get at one foot of distance from a candle.

Have a look around the forum there are different answers to this question in different sections...

Good luck !

Network Sponsors

Back