I want to make a movie out of a short story...

I'm considering making a film out of The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell. Can anyone give me any tips or ideas on how to do it? I'm just a beginner, by the way, so I don't have multiple cameras, only a $100 handeld.

Based on the story's setting, though, I believe I could go through with it.

Thanks for any feedback.

seems pretty ambitious, but that's what this is all about right?
I can't give you too many tips, I'm still a beginner myself.. but I might suggest you be more specific about what you're asking here.
Also, if you're planning on doing it commercially, you're going to need to look into buying the film rights for the story. Unless it's in the public domain, which I doubt. And I know there's been several big studio adaptations, so I doubt you'll actually be able to get the film rights.
If you're not wanting to sell it though, then go ahead and make it. Or consider doing a parody, or maybe making up your own story which has been inspired by the most dangerous game.

Yeah, I was thinking about making my own adaptation of it. It's not going to be commercial, not at this point anyway; I'm planning to post it online somewhere.

Thanks for the advice!

I like your idea.
Well my big thing at the moment is how to guide the camera.
I have come to look at it all in another way.
What I think about first is..
"What emotion or sensation do I want to produce in the mind of the viewer?"
Then I figure out what I need to do with POV, people, places and props in order to get that.
So I'm thinking that you have one big emotional rollercoaster in that story.
What would you say is the main emotion of the story?

I'm not sure it's fear.
I think it may be about the spirit of the game.
Almost a playfull sort of match.
kind of spy vs spy.
You could set it anywhere really, and at night, to cut down on cost.

ps for the record . I loved the tenth victim...and logans run..both have elements of your film in there.

Last edited:
I've got to say: The Most Dangerous Game was absolutely my most favorite short story I ever read during secondary school. Great choice :) I think that you really use your lack of resources to make it more realistic -- all that running through the jungle is a perfect subject for a handheld camera (in my opinion [a la Blair Witch]). But consider using a tripod and really perfecting the technique when you're in the more elegant scenes: dinner with Zaroff, Rainsford in the cafe recounting the tale, etc.

Handheld is much more acceptable these days.
I did notice one thing about hand held while filming my last scene.
Cutting from hand held to fixed camera will give you a sense of discontinuity unless it done right.
Fixed cameras give the feeling of calm and clarity.
Hand held gives a more dynamic feel.
You just can’t cut from one to the other all that easily.
I would almost classify that as a mild form of “jump cut”. (See the original “Breathless”.)
But here is some fun for you and I both.
Figure out ways to cut between the two - while maintaining a seamless sense of continuity.

Also, if you're planning on doing it commercially, you're going to need to look into buying the film rights for the story. Unless it's in the public domain, which I doubt. And I know there's been several big studio adaptations, so I doubt you'll actually be able to get the film rights.

I doubt that 'Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity' paid for the film rights; I'd guess that if you take the basic idea rather than specific details then you'd be fine even if the story isn't old enough to be public domain.

google a program called Celtx, its free. Its a screenwriting program, you can also put together storyboards.
I'd say make it into a script, put together a small team, and dont take any short cuts, learn what you can, while you can. good luck with it

I just saw a cartoon of the story you wanted to use.
It was on Family Guy.
Peter Griffin is hunted by his boss in order to win a holiday.

Ps, have you ever seen an old film called "Gotcha"...that had elelmets of your story in there.

Network Sponsors

Back