I need help too?

K

Kay020

I am now a student at Ohio State University working on a communications degree. I figured it would be a good idea to start of with a degree then move onto a directing career. I, however, do not know how to go about things. I need some advise on what I should do after I am done here. Or what classes I could take to get me started. Basically I am lost and need some advise. Could you help?

Hi Kay020,

Welcome to the forums! You mentioned you were working on a communications degree. What is your concentration? Does your school offer film courses? Or a minor/concentration in film? What do you want to direct? Movies, documentaries, music videos? Take a film course and a writing course.

Feel free to ask a lot of questions here. Good luck!

I am actually wanting to direct music videos. I figured that it would be a good idea to get a degree in something first to fall back on. I have been taking theater classes and history of popular music classes. But i just need some advise on where i should go after i am done here and what i can do. So anything that you could say to help me out, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey Kay,

I'm a student as well, so my level of expertise is relatively limited, but I’d suggest you continue pursuing your education through school, whichever school that may be, preferably one that offers the most dynamic and interesting programs. However, it's also imperative for you to pursue your filmmaking interests in the real world. Go out and do something on your own terms. It doesn’t have to be extravagant, just whatever you want to do. Do you know anyone personally who has a band, or is a musician? If not, I’d suggest finding someone whose music inspires you visually, and offer to do a video for him or her, if that's what you really want to do...?

I don’t know what the music scene is like in Ohio, but I know that out in LA, NY, and here in TX there are huge communities of musicians seeking to break out and discover the visual expression of their music. You just need to find your way into those communities and put your ear out there to hear what music inspires you visually, and approach those artists with your ideas and see where it goes from there. Remember, musicians are artists too, and many times, they may already know what the visual interpretation of their music is, and they’re just looking for someone to express it.

Anyhow, traditional education is very important, but the most influential and effective education is out in the real world. You'll learn so much more without constricting curriculums and student learning outcomes looming over your head, and you'll feel more in touch with what your doing because you're doing it on your own terms.

Directing

Directing

Unfortunately for those of us who are students, the only way to start in this industry is to start at the bottom. Even the guys like Spielberg started off working on small TV shoots and that kind of stuff first. I mean Mister Spielberg directed the pilot episode of Columbo , which I think is a pretty far cry from movies like Jurassic Park.
I would also suggest that you try to build contacts up while you're still studying, that just makes it easier to 'put out feelers' when you're looking for work. Be prepared to do just about anything, even if it means rolling cables or working as a P.A. for a couple of years. I would also suggest that you try to look for several options within the industry, in case your primary goals don't work out. Who knows, maybe you'll find out that you enjoy being a DP or a gaffer more than directing music videos.

Network Sponsors

Back