How to write a love scene

F

futureoscar

I need help on this one. The film calls for it, but I have no idea how to write a "love" scene. I've never had to write one before, but I think it would really expand the story between the characters. The actors are up for it, but I don't know how to do it!
Does anyone know how to write one?!

Love Scene

Love Scene

Without more info this is hard. I can give you a very good reference book. DREAMS OF LOVE AND FATEFUL ENCOUNTERS: THE POWER OF ROMANTIC PASSION by Ethel Spector Person. W. W. Norton, 1988.
There was also a Writer's Digest Article on the subject many years ago.

No. No, no, no, no, no. Well, yes, okay, maybe. But no.

No. No, no, no, no, no. Well, yes, okay, maybe. But no.

I have serious problems with "the film calls for it." Who specifically is calling for it? Throwing in a love scene for the sake of a love scene is something I hate. But we all know a flash of tits is going to increase the general audience's overall feeling of how good the film was. Whatever.

So here is my honest advice: a love scene is used best to show the unique inner qualities of the characters involved. For instance, if your tough hero-guy ends up being a very tender and sensual lover, it shows that he has a compassionate side. So later, when he decides not to kill that puppy, the audience will be saying, "Well, he is a compassionate person," instead of, "Why didn't he shoot the damn puppy?" In this example, the love scene made the character more dynamic.

You could make the tough hero-guy a tough lover to reinforce how tough he is, but usually this isn't very interesting.

More intersting: Tough hero-guy's sex lasts 3 minutes, says "That's all I need, baby," and leaves = tough hero-guy is actually a tough anti-hero-guy. Tough hero-guy can't perform = tough hero-guy's problems are entering every aspect of his life. Tough hero-guy cries during love = tough hero-guy is kind of a wimpy loser-guy.

I'm going to leave you with two examples of good love scenes. The first is A History of Violence. In this film there are two love scenes that contrast to eachother. They show not only the violent change in direction the plot has taken, but also the underlying desires of the characters involved. The second is Fight Club. The love scenes in this film are characterized by what we are not seeing. The visuals of the love making are brief and distorted. It makes sense that as we are seeing through the main character's eyes, this is how we see the scene. What brought out the real character development is when Tyler opened the door wearing a rubber glove, and the dialogue that ensued. What brought out the real plot development were the moments at which you could hear the love making and their abrupt stops.

I hope this aids your writing. However, if it really is the film itself that is calling for a love scene, you shouldn't have much trouble writing it. If it's an actual person or group of people telling you that the script needs a love scene... you've got your work cut out for you as a compelling love making scene will affect the film's direction. In other words, a good love scene will constitute a rewrite of followning scenes.

Good luck!

Write what you know. If you've never had a "love scene" in your own life I don't know how likely it is for you to reproduce such an experince on paper in a realistic manner.

And if you have, then just base it on that.

So how did your love-scene writing go? Recognize that a love-scene does not necessarily mean a s*x-scene.

yeah, interesting points; interesting string! how'd it turn out?

my two cents might be coming in a little late, but i'd say, just write. your first draft will never be your final, so you've got to start somewhere, right?

To be honest, I think that such a scene is often best left to the director, at least in terms of specifics. A love scene can be implied if it must and many, many films work best that way. Of course, if the scene is related to the plot then it must be described as you envision it because it is an intimate act and, as such, can reveal a lot about a character.

Just my two cents.

Network Sponsors

Back