Is it harder to write a novel or a screenplay?

R

raducangeorgiana

I know there are many movies made after novels and many novels that are inspired by movies. But which of the two is it harder to write? The novel or the screenplay?

Writing a novel and screenplay are two different art forms. In my personal opinion, I believe, writing a novel is harder because the variations are infinite.

The screenplay has a certain rule and structure that must be followed because it will be read by a team and produced. Writing visually (what is happening in the frame) is also much more clear and simple where as a novel you can be more subliminal, use prose, go on a tangent etc.

With a novel, the words you use is the art where as the screenplay is more like a blueprint that will be broken down, rewritten and reinterpreted by others so, it is not and never reaches its final form.

Many of the script books you can buy are actually the shooting script or transposed from the final movie so what you are actually reading is not the original vision the screenwriter had in mind.

If you are debating which 2 paths to take I would write down loglines of your stories on a whiteboard or laptop and decide are my stories better told as words or images. If your story for example takes place a lot inside the mind of the main character than perhaps it is better to write it as a novel.

There is a reason why some books are "unfilmable" sometimes stories work best in a certain medium whether it be comics, novels, movies or VR etc.

Best of luck!

Network Sponsors

Back