How to get money for your project

joecaholic

You know, you can only have 35 investors put money into your project, which is government law. It also says you can't make a public offering for investors to put money in your film. So my question is, how do you make people aware that the oportunity to invest in your project is available? I mean if you can't have public offerings, how come big name companies like Fox and Lions Gate have a link on their website for investors. I'm just curious what are the rules about that. So if any one knows let a fellow filmmaker know!

Re: How to get money for your project

joecaholic said:
I mean if you can't have public offerings, how come big name companies like Fox and Lions Gate have a link on their website for investors. I'm just curious what are the rules about that. So if any one knows let a fellow filmmaker know!

Because there's a difference between a capital investment and stock. If you formed a "C" corporation and sold stock to fund your movie, you could approach as many people as you like. (Other corp. models like "S" limit the number of shareholders you can have). Most companies that raise money for films contact hundreds of people, but they don't ask for money. They just make the potential investor "aware" of the project with a prospectus. It's a thin legal line.

dan

Network Sponsors

Back