How to divide a screen ?

marqez

is there anyone who knows about dividing a screen in two or more frames - like they use in serial "24" frequently - on premiere pro? or can any one help me to find any tutorial about this trick..

thanks in advance.

The most straightforward way to do this would be with track mattes.

You would create an image in photoshop, OR I quite frequently just use the title designer fr this as it works fine... The image should be black where you don't want video and white where you do.

I would create a separate matte for each video "window".

Then you can take the matte and do this two ways.

1. just set the video you want to use on the timeline with the matte somewhere above and select "track matte" for the source clip, selecting the track the matte is placed on as the source for the matte and also select "luma" as the matte mechanism.

When you do it this way, if you alter the size or position of the source clip, the matte will follow.

2. You can set the matte and you would place the source clip on another sequence and alter its position or scale, then nest that sequance as the source clip and place the track matte on that nested sequence instead of the source clip as in #1.

Thanks for your help Tim. I will try what you write about the topic to get a fine result in my project..

Can you tell me step by step how do you select the "track matte" option from the source clips? I'm having trouble doing this.

In the Video Effects folder in the effects tab...in the keyer or keying folder (can't remember which it is called) there is an option called "Track Matte."

You need to drag this onto the source clip (not the matte). In the options associated with the key in the Effect Control window you will see where you have the choice of "alpha" or "luma"...if you have a black and white matte, you want a luma matte...then pick the track that the matte exists on for the other parameter and that should do it.

Network Sponsors

Back