How do you start your own small production company?

Hokulani

Surely it is more than making a few films and posting them to a registered domain?

Anyone have any links or advice?

Some advice....

Some advice....

Hello.
I'll say right off the hop that starting your own production company takes alot of work, but it isn't rocket science.
I started my production company - Digital Iris Media - 4 years ago with 4 productions behind my belt. Ive since produced and directed numerous music videos for Much Music and MTV, and continue to do so.
I don't know your situation, but in my case, I had worked in feature film for 9 years before doing so - first as a PA(5 yrs) , then 2nd camera assistant (4 yrs and running).
What I did?- I registerd the co. name - and I began to create small projects on my own, under the name and with the help of crew that I had worked with in the past. Crew I could trust. After a few projects, and some self promotion, word started to get out about a 'new' production company doing mostly indie stuff - ME!!!
It wasn't long before the offers to do more productions started to come in. But I did alot of work for a cheaper price just to get the work. That's the key - Doing it for less $$$ !!
Keep your ear to the ground for small projects that may be in the works, and approach whomever is doing them, and offer your services. If they say no, offer to work 'ON' them. if they say no, move on to the next person. If there is no work, make your own. Experience counts.
That's my advice. Good luck.

Network Sponsors

Back