How do I remove self-consciouness when acting?

Cesar Laser

Hi,

I use to love acting in high school, and seriously considered that I would pursue it as a career when I left school. But, life story short, I sidetracked and stepped into a music degree course (since music is a hobby).

The reason for this was because I started becoming extremely self conscious when I was acting on stage in drama classes, especially in College. I began taking notice of what I was doing, second guessing myself, and running other people's opinions in my head about my performance, whilst I was performing. This would stop me from being able to slip into the role, and thus, deliver a decent performance. I'd keep thinking "Oh, I'm SUPPOSED to slip into the role now..." and it wouldn't happen, and I'd go through the motions mechanically and this would be a living hell. No matter what I did, and how hard I tried, it seemed this acute sense of self-consciousness just wouldn't go away.

I know that I am a great actor, and I can't really think of anything else to do with my life. I am 20 years old; I can still pursue a career in this, and I do want to, because I know that, when it comes down to it, I love it more than anything else and people have told me I deliver extremely good performances.

But this only happens when I manage to slip into roles, and the last few roles I played in college have been terrible, I mean literally a living nightmare for me because I couldn't stop judging myself and just slip into the role.

Does anyone have any tips on removing self consciousness?

Participate in as many theatre/acting activities as possible. Including auditioning/school plays, theatre competitions, casting calls. Also keep an eye out for student film/video productions and indie film/video productions casting for projects. As you go on auditions, simultaneously practice all the time, each and every day. Set up a small video camera or camcorder on a tripod and record yourself doing different things: speeches, monologues, use short commercial scripts, and dialogue from different kinds of scripts. Capture different angles of yourself; find out/know what your best angles are. Record yourself talking/sitting/standing/moving and using your space in different ways. Observe, evaluate, see what areas can be improved upon. Listen to your voice and the different ways you can use your voice. See what you can do/create/perform with the barest elements.

-

I agree with "jodymichelle" practice can make you feel more confident and auditioning or be in competitions can build self esteem. Acting classes is also a big help to have friends that can relate to you. Don't always think what other people say to you or their bad comments, just enjoy being you and think of the positive side that you can always be a better actor.

Talk to Jack Stehlin

Talk to Jack Stehlin

Hi Cesar,

I'm not kidding, if you want to overcome self-consciousness as an actor, there is no one better than Jack Stehlin and the instructors at the New American Studio for Actors. Steeped in the Stanislavski tradition, New American acting classes give you the tools to stay grounded in the moment by aligning your mind and body with the circumstances in the story. I have been taking class with Jack for over two years and I am still amazed at how much I learn every week.

Whether you are preparing for film acting or theatre, New American Studio for Actors will help you free your mind and "sink into the role" so deep it becomes a part of your soul.

But don't take my word for it...

Alfred Molina (of Spider-Man 2 and Da Vinci Code fame) had this to say: "I thought I knew everything there was to know about acting until I met Jack Stehlin."

Apologies to Mr. Gerardo, but check out this IMDB page: Jack Stehlin on IMDB

For more information on the best acting classes in Los Angeles, check out the New American Studio for Actors today!

Cesar, to be honest, I think you're kinda doomed to fail at removing self-consciousness as long as you keep trying to remove self-consciousness...;)

And with all due respect to Jody and others, the last thing you need to be doing is filming/recording yourself from all angles and observing and evaluating yourself and so on... or taking courses and self-improvement classes. All those things will merely intensify your hyper-awareness of yourself.

It is actually thoroughly natural to be self-conscious. Everybody is self-conscious all the time. It's how we stay out of harm's way. It's what keeps us behaving acceptably in the world.

Of course, it becomes a "problem" whenever we want to do something that requires us to behave differently than we really are, in other words, to "deceive". And that's what acting is - deceiving. Which obviously is why actors, (whose job it is to deceive), so often suffer from stage fright, or self-consciousness.

I suspect that the classic self-consciousness issue with actors is simply this - that they are painfully aware that they're deceiving people. Or, (to put it less emotionally), that they're "only pretending". We all feel a little uncomfortable whenever we "deceive" or "pretend" with others, it's just human nature. It's only when we get our heads around the fact that others, (the audience), are actually wanting us to deceive them, that we lose the self-consciousness.

So forget about tricks and methods and techniques to "overcome" self-consciousness. Just get it through your head that as an actor you have to pretend; you have to deceive; you have to "act as if...". You have no choice. The audience expects and wants you to BS them. The audience doesn't care how good or bad you are at it, or how you look when you're doing it, just as long as you do it. That's what they're there for, to see someone pretend, to "act as if...".

Of course, if my advice doesn't ring true to you, and you still feel that you want something to help, there's a very simple trick you can do that always works. Pick out one person in the audience and play solely to him/her. Act as if you're acting just for that one person. Believe that that person is fully expecting you to pretend to them. Because they are. In fact it's why they're in the audience in the first place. Remember the audience doesn't care about you personally. They only care about being deceived. So deceive them. It's not about you, after all. It's about the audience.:)

It's impossible to be self-conscious when you know that.

Here's what I would do...

Here's what I would do...

I have takes a few years worth of speech and drama lessons but I honestly don't think they will hep with your own self-esteem etc.

When your acting, immerse yourself.

The camera isn't there - there is a jungle, or a war-field.

If you don't know what is there, ask. Ask the director.

Don't try to be there. You ARE there.

To Cesar

To Cesar

Its OK, everyone is self conscious and most actors are completely embarrassed about acting when they do it. In time things will get easier, but you have to start somewhere - so throw yourself in to the deep end, id say that you should try auditioning and acting in student films to help build your confidence in yourself. It's OK to be embarrassed and you'll be on level playing grounds with the student crew too.

As a director I don't have much self confidence either, since I feel that everyone is watching and judging me when I work - but this isn't the case since everyone is busy worrying about there own jobs. When filming only the directors eyes are really on you everyone else is focusing on the lighting and sound etc. When you work with a director you comfortable being around things will get easier.

Hope this helps a little - but I'm not an actor so I don't know for sure whats best to do.

Amy

www.amyclarkefilms.com

Cut the Fat, Put in Work, Find a Mentor

Cut the Fat, Put in Work, Find a Mentor

Ok, first things first. Stop being self conscious and then saying, this:

I know that I am a great actor, and I can't really think of anything else to do with my life.

Obviously you are not and obviously you can. But that is ok! You are being humble and brave by coming onto a public forum and trying to find a solution. How much have you invested in yourself? How much time have you put into acting? How many classes post college?

Anyone can get on stage in a drama class or in college - seriously. But it takes serious work to be a professional actor. Tally up how many hours you worked at your job this week? 40? or in classes? 30? How much time did you spend on acting? Auditions? Training? It's a job!

Second thing, don't mind the peanut gallery so much. You need to learn to take criticism (no one can teach you that) but also to filter it!

I suspect that the classic self-consciousness issue with actors is simply this
- Jimmy

Background? Is this person an actor? A notable director? What's their resume? He obviously knows nothing about acting.

An actor's talent has to do with the expressiveness of his instrument and the truthof his instincts... his skill (skill being different from talent, which is given to you; skill being what you do with your talent) in "trusting the moment".
- Judith Weston

Google her and see her resume. Difference? Definitely. That is someone you can trust! Did you look up Jack Stehlin's resume? DITTO!

When people tell you to take a class with a particular person, it is because that person may helped them immensely or has a great resume. Why would you study with someone otherwise? Why would you listen to someone who knows nothing about acting? That is the blind leading the blind!

I studied for two years at HB Studio under Michael Beckett, and with Judith Weston in Los Angeles. Their criticism means the world to me. I know that when they judge my performance (good or ***) they are being honest and professional. It can sometimes be brutal to pay someone $250 for a class for them to tell you that you are ***. But you learn!

You’re only going to be as good as the stuff you surround yourself with.

Lockedoff,

You are correct that a good actor understands how to free themselves in a performance. I just would like to add that with proper training and practice, any actor can learn to do this.

In the case of the director and other actors on set, it is their job to make it easier for actors to deliver a performance by alleviating any hinderance on set. If the director and crew are not aware of this, you get what happened to Christian Bale on the set of Terminator Salvation.

Practice makes perfect. The more you act, the better you get. Ignore the audience, ignore what others are telling you, with the exception of the director. Trust the director. He or she knows why s/he picked you for a certain role.

As my acting teacher said, in this business you can only get better!

Good practice makes perfect. You'll never get to Van Halen's Eruption if you keep playing Twinkle Little Star. One must constantly be challenged.

A favorite teacher of mine has said, "you don't lift weights once a year, you do it three times a week." You must increase the weight to get stronger. Herbert Berghof and Uta Hagen encourage students to be taking classes if they currently have no work. This way you are always doing some kind of work.

Keep your mind strong!

Network Sponsors

Back