FX1 hack

MarkG

Looks as though if you're sufficiently mad or brave, you can modify your FX1 to take Nikon lenses rather than the standard lens :).

http://www.eidomedia.com/hdv/

Hacks really get my imagination going.
Any hack; hardware/software.

Hacks are becoming more and more common, particularly in the digicam world with codes coming from all over the world to be downloaded by people looking to gain an edge in performance from their equipment, resulting in a depletion of the barriers between one tool and another that was initially designed to be more advanced by factory standards.

With regard to DV/HD, I expect to see a similar outpouring of code when Solid State/P2 memory becomes the primary media source. This move alone will open up an entirely different world to videographers and filmmakers, even the developers, so long as they embrace it, which I think Panasonic is doing. So, in effect, the same type of hacks that can be found to increase the performance of digicams will also be done for consumer HD cams that will allow them to perform on par with higher end models. It has the potential to blow the doors wide open. That’s one of the main reasons why the first Panasonic Prosumer HD camera; the AJ-HDX100 (if that is the final production name) will be quite revolutionary.

Just imagine, if some kid isn’t happy with his camera’s standard 24/30P frame rates or the 4:2:2 color space, no worries, get online, download the preferred solution packs to the camera like an update for your PC’s operating system and there you go, your camera can now undercrank and overcrank by recording frame rates from 1fps to 120 fps and achieve 4:4:4 color space. 8)

Well, solid state is never likely to be effective as a recording medium: it's just way too expensive. Plus, it puts you in the rather unenviable position of not having a master copy of your footage to go back to, unless your budget is so high that you can afford not to re-use the P2 cards.

It's probably a good system for shooting news footage, where you want super-fast access to all the footage in the edit suite and don't really care about long-term storage, but otherwise to me it seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Certainly I was interested in this camera when I thought it would record HD to tape, but it's worthless to me if I'd have to buy vast numbers of P2 cards to record HD.

A tape drive is rumored to be available on the aforementioned camera (HDX), though unconfirmed by Jan C. from Panasonic, it’s believed that the tape will still be expensive because of the DVCPRO/HD format.

The cost of solid state media/ P2 cards and hardrive memory will drop, no doubt, but you’re right, it is hard to justify a current purchase with the media set at such a ridiculously high price point. I totally agree with that.
However, by utilizing this type of media, I do believe it opens up more doors than it closes, and appears to me to be the boldest attempt to future proof a prosumer camera.

I certainly don’t deny the existence of other forms of media in the future, but I firmly believe that among Blu-Ray, Solid State, Hardrive, or tape based media, that solid state holds more promise.

Network Sponsors

Back