Foreign Student with NYU Degree and Camera Crew Jobs? How?

Krisztian

I am in a quite uncomfortable position. I recently graduated from NYU Film and always planed to work in either G&E or the Camera crew to eventually become a DP one day. I did not bother to take internships during my college career because I felt it would be more important to shoot as many films as possible. Therefore, I have several 35 mm shorts under my belt (both as Director and DP). Now I face the following problem: I am in the US as a F-1 foreign student. I originally came into the country from Switzerland (with roots in Hungary) 4 years ago. My Immigration Lawyer told me the only way to stay in the country is to get a fulltime Job in the film business with an employer who would be willing to sponsor me for a so called H1-B Visa.

Unfortunately, that means no freelancing. If there is one thing they don't teach us at NYU is the Job market. I am unaware of any fulltime positions in the business that are connected to the work of a DP (or G&E). Everything I can find on mandy.com, craigslist or any other similar job search place is freelance based.

Are there ANY positions in the film business that would be fulltime (also paid fulltime, the INS requires that too....) that are somehow related to the career of a Director of Photography? I would be willing to do anything from personal assistant to Camera PA as long as I learn about the craft and as long as it fulfills the criteria set by the US immigration so I can stay in the US (Los Angeles).

Luckily, I put a lot of effort into my grades at NYU and I finished with Honors. I am ready to get any job if I need to, but it would kill me to be an office PA that would eventually lead to a career far away from my dream to become a DP.

Thank you for your time.

Krisztian

krisztian@mac.com

You're probably better off talking to a foreign DP working in the U.S. to see how they managed it. I don't know of any "full time" DP jobs, although the DP on a TV series can be employed for most of the year. You're more likely to find full-time work in a camera rental house or something.

I am in a quite uncomfortable position. I recently graduated from NYU Film and always planed to work in either G&E or the Camera crew to eventually become a DP one day. I did not bother to take internships during my college career because I felt it would be more important to shoot as many films as possible. Therefore, I have several 35 mm shorts under my belt (both as Director and DP). Now I face the following problem: I am in the US as a F-1 foreign student. I originally came into the country from Switzerland (with roots in Hungary) 4 years ago. My Immigration Lawyer told me the only way to stay in the country is to get a fulltime Job in the film business with an employer who would be willing to sponsor me for a so called H1-B Visa.

Unfortunately, that means no freelancing. If there is one thing they don't teach us at NYU is the Job market. I am unaware of any fulltime positions in the business that are connected to the work of a DP (or G&E). Everything I can find on mandy.com, craigslist or any other similar job search place is freelance based.

Are there ANY positions in the film business that would be fulltime (also paid fulltime, the INS requires that too....) that are somehow related to the career of a Director of Photography? I would be willing to do anything from personal assistant to Camera PA as long as I learn about the craft and as long as it fulfills the criteria set by the US immigration so I can stay in the US (Los Angeles).

Luckily, I put a lot of effort into my grades at NYU and I finished with Honors. I am ready to get any job if I need to, but it would kill me to be an office PA that would eventually lead to a career far away from my dream to become a DP.

Thank you for your time.

Krisztian

krisztian@mac.com
Find a job as a production assistant in a post production , camera equipment facility or network facility. Most of these will provide long term employment until you can establish yourself. You will also meet many up and coming people with your same desire. United you can begin building your own teams and projects. Its not East in purpose. They want to see how much you want to work in the industry.

Network Sponsors

Back