Final Cut Pro 6 Certification

esp4ever

What do you need to know and what are the exams like when getting certified for Final Cut Pro 6? I have been working with Final Cut Pro for three years and have read the Apple Pro Training book for Final Cut Pro, the majority of it was simple review. Is it really that easy?

Know the keyboard shortcuts, know what functions go with what pull down menus, and know the features that are new to FCP 5 or 6. If you know the material in the book well then you should pass. (I'm not saying it's easy, but you should pass and that'll get you your certification). I got certified in FCP 5 in 2006 so I know what that test was like; the FCP 6 test shouldn't be that much different in format.

Good luck!

Know the book forward and backwards. The test get more difficult with time. Some folks breeze through them, most folks need more study time. It's, from last I heard, only about a 75% pass rate on the first round. If you fail, you can always take it again.

The tests today are quit a bit different than they were before. As of September '07 all previously awarded certifications to both end users and us trainers were officially expired across the board. Simply due to FCS having so many new and changed features. And Apple is not afraid of trick questions anymore. They have toughened it up a bit.

The tests in 2006 were quit a bit different from the tests today. But, the information for the end user test is all directly from the book. Trainer tests are much more difficult and pull on "industry" information not in the book.

Awesome, thanks for the input. Do you know if I need to register online for the test or should I just go down to an Apple Authorized Training Center?

It's all handled by AATCs, not directly from Apple. Be aware that it is timed, you have a set number of questions, and a limited amount of time for the test.

Ben,
"As of September '07 all previously awarded certifications to both end users and us trainers were officially expired across the board."????
If that is the case what is the point in getting certified? now I can see if there is alot of new features test would have to be restructured,seems like kinda of a waste of time.

shawn

Because as of FCS 2 there are in fact many new features, etc. Your certification is only good for the version you got certified on. The entire testing and certification system got totally revamped. And there are many major updates and new features across the board in FCS 2, with the exception of DVDSP.

Getting certified is a personal decision. If you personally don't see a point to it, then fine, don't get certified. But a lot of employers what their editors and graphic artists certified.

So, your comment, "...a lot of new features..." is actually true for FCS 2, in fact.

Also, there are a LOT of folks with certifications for very, very old versions of the apps, who are claiming to still being certified for current versions. Eventually, you have to revamp and update, which is what this effort is all about. As I stated earlier, the content and the tests are very, very different than they were a year ago.

I won't debate Apple's system or decisions, that's been done to death on many forums way too many times. It's a tired, mute subject. I'm just telling you the facts, answering the question originally posted.

Remember, your certification is only valid for the version of the app you tested on. Once there's a major update, you're not certified for that new version until you re-test. It's always been that way. This is just how Apple can officially start the new, revamped training and certification program new with a new version of FCS, new OS, new CPUs in the machines, everything about FCS and Macs is very different than it was before now.

Network Sponsors

Back