final cut only on macbook pro?

jrod81

i know the macbook pro is suggested to use for final cut but i was wondering if just the macbook would handle it too?

final cut

final cut

the mac book pro is perfect for the final cut. But macbook does not have the right graphics card. If your planning on editing in HD then the macbook pro is right for you. Ive heard of plenty of pros that use mac book pros and not macbooks.
(Reindirk) does not know what hes talking about lol

I know for a FACT that FCP WILL run on a Macbook. My friend in film school does all her editing on one. You'll be fine, although I would recommend the Macbook Pro.

Caution here! Let's calm down and be clear!

Final Cut Pro 6 will run on a MacBook "ok", for sure. Remember RT always depends on how much hardware you have. And Final Cut Studio 2, all apps, will be becoming more and more dependent on the GPU, that's in the cards. FCP has started using it a tad due to it's interface with Motion. And both Motion and Color depend on the GPU a LOT! And, it's a good move!

Now, that said, Final Cut Pro 6 will run on a MacBook, but better on a MacBook Pro. Not to mention...

Final Cut Studio 2 requires a MacBook Pro, "technically", as a whole. This is because Motion and Color require a more powerful graphics card than what is in the MacBook, but IS in the MacBook Pro.

You can install FCP on either, and you can install "most" of FCS on a MacBook. Yes, the devil is always in the details, no matter who's NLE suite it is...

FCP vs. FCS...

I ordered a MacBook but cancelled and got a MacBook Pro for Final Cut Studio 2 because Motion 3, Color, and Soundtrack Pro 2 require more RAM and a better graphics cards than the MacBook. Apple's system requirements state that Intel integrated graphics card are not supported by all programs in Final Cut Studio 2. They recommend NVidia or ATI Radeon graphics cards, especially for editing in HD. They also recommend a faster hard drive as well.

Personally have seen this in the real world. Motion and Color will NOT run on an MacBook, period. A MacBook Pro is barely enough to run Motion and Color, period.

If you use FCP, you'll end up using all the other apps, too. So don't think a MacBook will keep you happy for long. And a MacBook Pro will keep you happier longer, but eventually you'll get frustrated with how slow Motion and Color run on it.

If you don't need the portability for any vital reason, go with a tower. More hardware for you money, more powerful components, longer life span.

But to NOT run Final Cut Studio on a MacBook, or I can assure you that in a very short time you'll find yourself very frustrated. I have a ton of student and consulting clients who made this mistake and are kicking themselves for it. Oh yes, the first month or two it was fine. But after that, it got worse and worse as their skills improved and they began to move out into Motion and Color.

Network Sponsors

Back