film noir

FilmNoir

hi,

my names Bob and i'm 17 years old and currently studying A level Moving Image Arts and school. i am think about creating a movie in the style of film Noir and was wonderin if anyone knew any tips on how to acheive the desired affects traditionally associated with the film noir style. i would appreciate any help that anyone can give me regarding this topic. i especially would like to know how to get the cinematography and the camera techniques right.

thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

your new newbie

Bob :)

Watch the section on film noir in the documentary on cinematography, "Visions of Light". Read the classic book on cinematography called "Painting with Light" by film noir cinematographer John Alton. Watch a bunch of old noirs (the ones used for "Visions of Light" would be a good starting point.)

There's a lot of different ways you could take your project and still be noir-ish. One of the main things true(er) noir is associated with is iconography: clothes, props, a hard-boiled detective and a femme fatale, etc. Traditionally, film noir is in B&W, though later interpretations of the style (Chinatown, Blade Runner) are not. Either way, you will probably want to use chiaroscuro lighting, that is, having areas of the frame with much light and some in the shadows (contrast). You might also want to try having the shadows from venitian blinds thrown across a wall, which is one of the main notifiers of film noir. But definitely read up and watch up. When you see a film whose cinematography you like, try to figure out why you liked it.

Harsh contrasty lighting, some grain in the image (either with video gain or higher speed film), and black and white

I made a short film noir film two years ago and what I did to make it as close to the spirit of 40's film noir was get high contrast lighting, fedora hats, and a story that used some 1940's gangster films lingo.

I suggest you watch a couple of the film noir greats (you probably have seen these already but it doesn't hurt to mention them): The Dark Corner (lesser known film but some of the best film noir lighting you will ever see), The Maltese Falcon, Strangers on a Train, Shadow of a Doubt, and Double Indemnity (the list goes on and on). The best way to get a feel for the lighting and story characteristics that make up the film noir style is exposing yourself to as many of those kinds of films as possible.

Good luck with your film!

[Edit: sorry this is so late, I just rejoined the forum and forgot to check the post dates... oops... :oops:]

Network Sponsors

Back