FCP 5 (PowerPC) to FCP 5.1 (Intel) - Compatibility issues? (

McGunnar

To FCP/Cinema Tools experts:

I am an assistant editor currently capturing footage in Final Cut Pro 5 (PowerPC) shot on 35mm using the Reverse Telecine Process in Cinema Tools.

Once digitized, I will be passing the footage along to the editor who will be editing on the new Final Cut Pro 5.1 Universal Edition on his Intel based mac.

I am extremely concerned of any possible compatibility issues transferring my digitized footage between the two platforms. The budget is large, the deadline is approaching, and there is absolutely no room for any mistakes or second chances. Will it be a 100% flawless transition, or is there any possible chance of problems arising?

Thank you so much for your help! It's greatly appreciated. :)

You should not have any problems as a NEWER version of FCP can open an older file, PPC or Intel. You will not be able to open up a project from the newer version though. But the advice I would give as you post indicates that nothing can go wrong is to do test from one machine to the other. Do this test with pieces of media EXACTLY as the workflow will be when you do the job for real. Any director/producer should not have an issue with you doing this test as it's the best way to guarantee compatibility and workflow. Good luck.

Network Sponsors

Back