Editing software

katiemcc

Any recommendations for a free editing software? My adobe trial is coming to an end and I can not afford to pay for it monthly. I have tried light works but really didn't enjoy working with it.

Hi Katiemcc,

In all honesty, though there are some free options out there like Windows Movie Maker and Lightworks, having come from the world of Premiere and/or After Effects, I think that you'll find yourself limited as to what you can do with these free programs for video editing. I know you may not want to hear it, but if you are currently a student, there is a good discount available by Adobe that may be manageable for you. There are times when I'm crunching the numbers financially, but my Adobe subscription is non-negotiable. There is just so much that you can do with the suite, and in time, can actually help pay your bills. This, of course, is just my opinion and I look forward to seeing any other suggestions. Best of luck to you!

I would recommend checking out HitFilm that is free or at least the express version is and includes some FX options. I do prefer Adobe but I know how it can be hard to afford the monthly cost even at a student rate without going in debt. Check out HitFilm, FilmRiot did a whole short and some tutorials on it a few months back, worth the look. Good luck.

Any recommendations for a free editing software? My adobe trial is coming to an end and I can not afford to pay for it monthly. I have tried light works but really didn't enjoy working with it.

probably the best option for a free editing program would be Blackmagic's DaVinci resolve 12
this latest version has a pretty robust editing interface that looks very similar to fcp 7 and adobe premiere
the free version will do most of what the paid one does but not 4 k
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Thanks. I love adobe but, as a teen, it is quite difficult for me to scrape us £17 every month. Thank you for the advice though! :)

probably the best option for a free editing program would be Blackmagic's DaVinci resolve 12
this latest version has a pretty robust editing interface that looks very similar to fcp 7 and adobe premiere
the free version will do most of what the paid one does but not 4 k
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

I forgot out BlackMagic - that is definately a great one to check out and you get a super super good color grading program to go with it.

Lightworks is a good option, but I feel the leaning curve for it is a bit steep. And though there a number of free options available including Windows movie maker, I feel that if you want to have a number of options in editing or do complex multi layered videos, then Adobe Premiere Pro is the way to go.

Network Sponsors

Back