Does anyone who anything about Rotoscoping

Does anyone know anything about Rotoscoping. I've been using photoshop to add effects but it takes forever so I was wondering if anyone knew a faster way.

Rotoscope

Rotoscope

Can you explain a little more about what you are doing? Are you working with an image sequence? What software, besides Photoshop, are you using for your project? And what are you trying to do with your images? Roto work can be and usually is extremely time consuming. You will have to create a tight fitting mask around the elements you are trying to isolate and there are no real easy ways to do that unless you shoot your footage against a blue or green screen. Then you would pull a key and not worry about rotoscoping. It wasn't clear by your question if you wanted to actually find roto shortcuts or apply the same effect(s) to a bunch of pictures.

Rotobrush!

Rotobrush!

I know it's a little late but hey! use rotobrush with after effects cs5 its easy fast and just as good as rotoscoping. Go download the AE trial right NOW on adobe.com

If you're working on doing animated rotoscoping to cut out objects or actors for vfx, there are a few basic rules to follow:

Imagineer Systems said:
Traditional Roto Tips

1. There is no such thing as a perfect matte. Rotoscoping is an art form that takes into account the background image, the movement of the object, and the new elements to be composited in the background.
  2. Try to start your shape at its most complex point in time, where it will need the most control points.
  3. Break a complex shape into multiple simple shapes. If you are rotoscoping a humanoid form and an arm becomes visible, consider rotoscoping the arm as its own element, rather than adding extra points on the body that will serve no purpose when the arm is obscured.
  4. Imagine you are the animator who created the shot. What would your dope sheet look like? No matter the medium, whether CG, live action or otherwise, most movements are rarely linear. They normally move in arcs; they normally accelerate in and out of stopped positions. Try and understand the mechanics behind how things are moving in your shot. This will help you to minimize keyframes.
  5. Watch and study the shot before you start working. Where are the changes in directions? These will normally have keyframes. Where are the starts and stops? Are there camera moves that can be stabilized to make your work easier?
  6. Don’t be afraid to trash your work and start over. Beginning roto artists often make the mistake of trying to fix a flawed approach by adding more and more keyframes. Experienced roto artists learn to quickly identify an inferior approach and are unashamed to trash their work and start over, often many, many times. It is very difficult to get a good matte without a conscious effort to keep the keyframes to a minimum.

I would not use Photoshop. In general you're going to be using a compositor or a dedicated roto application.

Network Sponsors

Back