Does anyone know anything about German Cinematography?

SRobertStoddard

I'm wanting to make a short thriller and I thought it would be cool if it was in Black and White with a German Cinematic look to it.... Would it work?

Thanks..

Take a look at The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari. German impressionism that helped defined the horror/thriller genre.

The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari

The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari

Talking of The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, you can see (and download) it here.

Although "Caligari" is certainly an essential piece of German Expressionism (and arguably the most influential) it is far from the only great one. Seeing the work of both Fritz Lang (Metropolis, M, Dr. Mabuse series) and F.W. Murnau (Nosferatu, Faust, The Last Laugh) is imparative to understanding this style. There are also many films that are in the likeness of German Expressionism, though not actually part of the movement, such as Dreyer's "Vampyr," Allen's "Shadows and Fog," much of Tim Burton's work, and to some extent the body of studio-era Film Noir.

And I think a thriller filmed in true German Expressionist style is a great idea.

I was thinking of something in German Expressionism since I first saw Dark City. I'm wanting to make a story but I don't know how to start it out... I have it starting out with two characters making a deal. But the main character doesn't speak in the first scene.

What exactly do you mean by a "German Cinematic style" ? I'm from Germany, and in Germany - just like in every other country - you can find many different cinematic approaches and styles as a result of different genres, storys, directors, cinemtographers, ... ? Be a little more specific - all the filmtitles that have been named already are films that are REALLY old. Today, I don't think that German cinema still looks very different compared to British, French or even American cinema since there now is a kind of "global taste". European Cinema is influenced by Hollywood and European filmmakers go to Hollywood and bring their vision into a Hollywood movie. You cannot seperate it anymore. Look at this for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nT_-JLPgJY

- it's a trailer for a recently released German film, but would you have recognized it as a German film if it was in English? I don' think so ...

Greetz from Germany
Oliver

Olliwood said:
What exactly do you mean by a "German Cinematic style" ? I'm from Germany, and in Germany - just like in every other country - you can find many different cinematic approaches and styles as a result of different genres, storys, directors, cinemtographers, ... ? Be a little more specific - all the filmtitles that have been named already are films that are REALLY old. Today, I don't think that German cinema still looks very different compared to British, French or even American cinema since there now is a kind of "global taste". European Cinema is influenced by Hollywood and European filmmakers go to Hollywood and bring their vision into a Hollywood movie. You cannot seperate it anymore. Look at this for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nT_-JLPgJY

- it's a trailer for a recently released German film, but would you have recognized it as a German film if it was in English? I don' think so ...

Greetz from Germany
Oliver

I meant the style of Alex Proyas (even though the guy is from Austrilla) ,Fritz Lang,and other German or Austrian Directors.

Network Sponsors

Back