Do you need a sony VX2200 to get professional quality?

I

ithrowcraze72

i was wondering if you need a vx camara to get professional quality film?

Welcome to the forums...

Well, two perennial camera models come to mind when discussing the acquisition of "professional" film-like quality from a consumer/prosumer grade DV camera. The VX is a nice camera, though many people who want "professional" film-like quality tend to shoot with a camera that allows them the option to shoot 24P, which the VX does not. That being said, the only two models in the prosumer lineup that offer such an option are the Panasonic AG-DVX100a and the Canon XL2. If you were still set on getting a professional quality Sony, try the PD-170 as oppose to the VX, it does not shoot 24P, but it is more pro grade than the VX.

Is the PD-170 really that different? I thought it was just a VX2100 with XLR inputs and DVCAM recording, like the TRV900 and PD100.

IMHO, having XLR ports and the ability to record directly to DVCAM tape are great features in and of themselves. But the PD170 also has higher vertical res, I believe the highest among all prosumer DV cameras (576 lines I believe), and it also comes with a wide angle lens 8)
I've heard conflicting accounts about how the VX only records 15 frames/sec, whereas the PD shoots real 30 progressive (NTSC). That's one thing I've always disliked about Sony, their frame rate and frame res trickery, there's always a catch with them, particularly with their new HDV cam, which I think is a nice camera, but I'd definitely consider my options (when more become available, like from Canon) in the HDV market before picking Sony...just my opinion :wink:

Network Sponsors

Back