Do I suck at names

DannyG

I was jotting down the synopsis for my first script and had to figure out a name for my main character, a teenage male. It seemed everytime i tried a common real name, it conjured up some pre-judgements and images which I want to avoid. So instead I just made up a name and when I showed to a friend he shot it down. So here we go, does _____/i] sound absolutely horrible? Please tell me your true opinions so I can get back on track if it is indeed that bad.

Last edited:
I don't think the characters name is all that important. I've met some people with some pretty weird names. Lowden Dackwood does sound pretty stupid, but it wouldn't surprise me if their was someone out their with that very name.
Final Draft 6 has a cool function where you can choose from a list of over 90,000 names. If you really are having that much difficulty, you may want to look into that.

Damn, I feel so ashamed...I'm gonna go cry in a box now. No more mixing vowels and consonants at 3 AM....imagination is too loopy at that hour. oh such a failure...**sobs insecently**

Hi DannyG,

It's not a bad name. Sometimes the character's name is very important because you're creating a brand. Think Indiana Jones, Ferris Bueller (if you want to think "teen"), or even Batman. Lol. I think it's important and special that Batman's name is Batman. But there are some great movies that I don't even remember the names of the main characters, and it's not even important to me, but the movies and the characters are still some of my favorite movies and characters. For example, Sixteen Candles was a great movie, but who remembers that Molly Ringwald's character's name was Samantha Baker? And who remembers that John Cusack's character's name in Better Off Dead was Lane Myer? Okay, maybe a lot of people, but the character definition will help you decide if your character needs a flashy name or a plain-Jane name. (Those movies came to mind because you mentioned you were creating a teen character, and I was thinking about teen movies from the 80's.)

Lowden Dackwood is not bad at all. How did you come up with that name? To figure out if the name is a good name for your main character, I guess it would help to first decide if the character needs to have a creative, original and memorable name, or if the name is really insignificant to the story/script. If you want the character to have a great name, I guess it would help to take into consideration things like the character definition, setting, and genre. If I knew those things, I could probably give you a more detailed answer, but it sounds like a good name for now. Writing the character definition and knowing the main character inside and out before even starting an outline narrows a lot of things down. To start off with, when was he born? Where is he from? What's his ethnic background? Or maybe the name doesn't have to be a big deal at this point. You can always use symbols or initials and fill in the blank later.

The name is a bit strange and I personally would not use it. What i do is get a list of favorite baby names or just names in general on the internet. I try to mix and match these first names with the last names of people I know or have heard of. Always try to give it your own personal twist, and make sure the name fits the character.

Strange names have no gray area -- they either fit perfectly, or just completely don't work AT ALL. So you've really got to decide if this name really fits your character.

Take, for example, "The Catcher in the Rye." The main character's name is Holden Caulfield. This isn't really a strange name, it's just not a particularly common one. In the book though, the name fits the character perfectly, and in fact, I can't see him having any other name.

It's really your decision of whether the name fits or not. Good luck!

Whatever name you choose to start off with, just keep moving forward with your script, and get it finished. Even if you feel at one point that you have the perfect name, you might decide over a period of time that you no longer like it, or you might come up with something completely different as you're developing your character.

DannyG,

Like they've said above... the name isn't bad at all. However, the only advice or constructive criticism I would give you would be to think about the name as it fits in with your script...

Think about the location, setting, background, family, and all other factors related to your character.

Then, think about wether that name sounds or feels right to the character in the situation you've created.

Personally, I don't usually name my characters until after I've figured out who they are. Then a name will usually come to me. I just accept it when it's something generic... but now and then a unique name can be cool.

Personally, I think your name sounds cool... if a bit sci-fi. However, like others have said, people around the world have all different types of names. If the name feels right to you within the script, then it's going to work.

Also, consider that when people just see a name, but don't have a character or story to match it with, they don't have much to go on.

Best advice anyone could give you would probably be to just go with your gut and follow your instincts.

Best of luck.

It sounds like a character in "Star Wars." Which is cool, if you're George Lucas. The entire deal with cahracters is that their name should encompass who they are. For example, Napolean Dynamite? Perfect. Ferris Beuller? Great! Sometimes, a name isn't even necessary. If you'll notice in Fight Club, Ed Norton's character is simply named "The Man." And they never even try to answer the quesiton of who he is. Unless the name is truly very important to the personality of the character, it can be anything. But I would avoid anything like Joe, George, and Mary. Unless that's what you want.

To figure out if the name is a good name for your main character, I guess it would help to first decide if the character needs to have a creative, original and memorable name, or if the name is really insignificant to the story/script.

jody summed it man

look at your character from a perspective of someone who has never met him. does the name fit?

I seem to always turn to footballers when it comes to surnames. There are some good, weird names amongst sports people and there's plenty to choose from. Other time I use friends, family, or names from strangers in the newspaper. Sometimes they just come to you.

As lame as it sounds I have a bad habbit of giving character names that are silly tributes to other people or things. Some examples of names I've come up with are Holly Matchet, Geo R. Gelucas, and Ben Speiler. That probably didn't help as my names sucks too. :(

Or...

Or...

You could try using names that have historical context. I honestly can't think of any examples off the top of my head; but when you hear a certain name in a movie that rings a bell about some famous name in history, that immediately gives the audience something to think about. It's terribly obvious, but the conotation of the name Christian is quite different to that of Damon. Also, another thing to consider is: will the name be spoken in the film? Silence of the Lambs (one of my favorites!), if you pay close attention, really make s a strong effort to give EVERY major player in the film an interesting name - and it was usually the first thing you would find out about them. Think about who will say the persons name name first in your script and decide how that will sound. I'm with the folks who posted previously and said that names aren't critical, but a good one will make your script THAT much better! After all, how many films can you think of where you didn't like the name of a character?
________
VARIABLE UNIVERSAL LIFE INSURANCE FORUMS

Last edited:
I know i'm new but i go to behindthename.com. the site really helps with finding names that are historical, region related, etc. Try it.

I myself hate using names and in one of my scripts i didnt give anyone a name with the intentions of keeping the audience guessing or giving them a way to better relate to the main character.

I've learned that with lastnames you can play with.... for example.. in Death of a Sales man.... his name is Willy Loman.... if I remember correcty? its been a while since I read that thing..

Anyway.. Loman... really plays on his character.. because he always said, its important to be well liked, it gets you places...

anyway the american dream that he wasnt living, loman shows that he was not well liked? etc......

and eventualy he kills him self.. but anyway.. LOMAN coresponds with his character...

Lastname.. KEy... first name.. just gota fit the last name.... :)

GL!

Network Sponsors

Back