DigiBeta Versus DV

R

rdegracia

I am about to face a new project corporate video

we are going to edit on a macbook pro Final Cut 5.1

does make any sense shooting DigiBeta and convert the footage to DV for editing? or would you reccomend shooting DV directly instead?

my point of view is: the better the original the best...

am I wrong? why???

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE

Digibeta cameras are generally better than DV cameras, but a while ago I edited a movie which was shot on a mix of Digibeta downconverted to DV and high-end DVCAM, and there really wasn't any difference.

The only real benefit of shooting Digibeta would be that you could potentially go back and cut a Digibeta version of the movie based on the DV edit for a better quality master.

In this case, I think the camera design, features, and lens options matter more than the recording format, if everything is going to end up in DV anyway, if you are comparing a pro ENG 2/3" 3-CCD camera with a good manual zoom to a prosumer 1/3" 3-CCD camera with a fixed servo zoom.

Sure, I was assuming they'd shoot with a comparable DVCAM camera; I'm not sure which one was used for that shoot, but from the pictures I saw it wasn't much smaller than the Digibeta and appeared to have fully manual lenses.

Network Sponsors

Back