HD Infomercials & DigiBeta

eddiegnz1

Where should I begin to get oriented and learn the basics of making infomercials on both High Def as well as SD formats. I'm an extreme beginer and have been searching the net for articles that explain the basics.

I need to learn things like;

*what format should I start my MC5 projects in (e.g. 24P, 30i, resolution? etc)
*why should I use that specific frame rate and resolution in my Avid projects
*which codecs and formats should in work with
*what to do when I receive footage in several different resolutions which are in several different formats (e.g. DVCpro, Beta, Mini DV, HDCAM, memory cards, other)
*how to and why to export the final master infomercial in the right format with the right level of compression or uncompressed (CODECS). What is the right format and why?
*other important considerations that I wouldn't know to consider as an extreme beginner

I think that most of what I seek orientation on probably applies to any editing application not just Avid (I use AVID MC 5).
I found this website (www.planetoftunes.com) which helped a tiny bit but it is not exactly hitting the bullseye for my specific needs.

Kind Thanks,

Eddie

Perhaps there's a beginner book focused on this sort of thing.

TV specs for Infomercial tapes

TV specs for Infomercial tapes

maybe you should join the networking section and the composers group if you have not already. http://networking.studentfilmmakersforums.com

Kim, I was about to assume but before I do so, let me just ask...are you saying that if I join the "networking" section and the "composers" group that it would somehow become easy and quick for me to get answers to the following two questions

1) what are the project settings that should be used when setting up a new project in Avid that will be delivered to TV/Cable networks for broadcasting infomercials on SD and HD channels

2) what are the format specs that should be used for the final master to be delivered to the media buyer for such infomercials

thanks,
Eddie

I am absolutely sure someone in the networking section knows exactly how to do that

I am absolutely sure someone in the networking section knows exactly how to do that

oh, I am absolutely sure someone in the networking section knows exactly how to do that.

Eddie, you're asking questions that make me wonder how much training you have in the field. These are questions that could be answered for one specific instance and the answers would be different in another instance.

Knowing what format your camera is shooting and editing to that is one area...then there's understanding what the distribution channel or network you wish to show the work on requires... 720p59.94? 1080i29.97? i25? Standard Definition? Web? All these have different frame size and rate requirements and even if you just focus on the USA, different channels have different requirements.

File Specs For TV Broadcast

File Specs For TV Broadcast

Tim, you're right, I have zero training. I am only now trying to find step one of self training on Avid MC.
The media buyer said I should send him a .MOV file that is 720p59.94. They also sent me a spec sheet for other requirements.
They will then take my .MOV file and do one of various things with it. One is they might just send it directly to the network as is...for other networks they would put it on HDCAM-SR or DVCPro HD or some other tape.
So I think I got my answer now.
I'm going to use a DNxHD 220 Codec inside the .MOV container.

Thanks,
Eddie

Network Sponsors

Back