Crying Gave

Kim Welch

Staff member
Hi David,

Have you worked with actors who can cry on set? What do you think the percentage is of the big stars can cry? Like, does julia roberts make tears without any help? what do you do when an actor can't get the tears flowing but the director wants them? how do you do it?

Kim

Most actors can cry when needed, though not take after take. If they need some help, the make-up person will blow something (just air I think) into their eyes with a bulb, not sure. Or there are eyedrops for a watery eye effect.

Two years ago, my dog died suddenly and even now, it doesn't take much for me to bring up tears just thinking about her, so I suspect that for some actors, they have some sad memory or thought they can bring up to trigger tears.

What's interesting is often the take after the actor can't cry anymore is the most effective, or when they are on the verge of crying but can't. That's more heartbreaking to watch in some ways, partly because a sobbing actor tends to be moving their head, burying it in their hands, etc. When they are a little drained and more still, it becomes more effective on film because the audience can see their eyes better and the look of emotional distress more clearly.

Thanks

Thanks

i tried this last night. I thought about a few things that had happened to make me cry in the past and i got a little teary eyed but no tears flowing. However, I bet with practice or couching this is something many people can do. some are surely more gifted at it.

Network Sponsors

Back