Confused about how to learn 3D Animation

Pepiniux

:shock: :!: :?:

I have been working as a graphic designer in the Mac/Apple platform for about 14 years now. After all this time I feel dissatisfied with my graphic design career. It doesn't truly fulfill my deepest inner expectations and dreams. I have always liked animation and illustration. After seeing such animated movies as The Incredibles, Cars, Madagascar, Appleseed, Final Fantasy (The Spirits Within) and Final Fantasy VII (Advent Children), and also the special effects on such movies as the Matrix, Lord of the Rings, King Kong, Star Wars (Revenge of the Sith)... I decided that It would truly be very COOL to learn this exciting new career.

A school like Cal-Arts in Valencia, California, the Art center College of Design in Pasadena, California or the School of Visual Arts in New York would be ideal institutions I would choose, but they are very expensive, and I have been told that since I already have a degree (BFA) I won't qualify for government help and would have to get in serious debt through a private lending institution like Sally Mae.

I truly don't know what steps to take to learn more about 3D animation before I finally decide to actually jump in. Nurbs, Particles, Rendering...all these terms confuse me. I would like to play around with a program to see if I actually have what it takes to be a 3D modeller/animator but the Maya software for Macintosh is very expensive. A friend gave me an old copy of Lightwave but when I open the program I simply don't know what to do with it. I have a G4 with 867 MHz and 512 MB of RAM.

I am 38 years old now. Do animation studios "discriminate" older candidates? Any comments will be sincerely appreciated.

Pepiniux :)

Great free 3d software

Great free 3d software

check out blender3d

www.blender3d.org

it's an open source, FREE 3D animation software. I've been searching high and low for powerful 3d software and found blender3D to be the best. You can sample their gallery section to get an idea of just how powerful this free software is.

They even used this for parts of the Spiderman movie. So if it's good enough for Spiderman, it's good enough for me.

The only problem with free software is that the documentation is lacking, but it is out there. I've been learning thru mostly online web docs and video tutorials. There are a lot of guys out there that want to help you learn this new, FREE, powerful 3D tool. Wikipedia has a good beginners guide to this too.

I think, in the near future, blender will rival the major, commercial 3D tools.

If you have a drive to learn and can push yourself to teach yourself, than anything is possible.

im not sure where my teacher got it from but he has two 4" binders full of paperwork and instructions for blender, if really interested contact me and i will find out where he printed it all from.

The beauty about animation is not about how many degrees and certificates you have it's all about "can you do it better than our competition" Granted i've only been in the game for 3yrs now but i have learned alot. I got my Degree In CGI and my teachers always told me never go to University for that reason for what i just said. But this is your life and your welcome to choose your own path but before you decide to put yourself in debt check this place out for wisdom http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Studying is all about paper work these days not actually down and dirty which annoyed me.

Its funny when the guy who has a query never replies.
And the discussion goes on without him.
hmm

Network Sponsors

Back