How can I learn to pilot a drone?

Hello! Amy here. A complete beginner with little to no experience in what a drone is. I will purchase my first drone in the following month and I am worried that I will not be able to pilot it and crash it into the first tree. I know how silly this may sound for you. Trust me, the fear is real. I am asking myself so many questions: What if the wind blows my drone away? What if I fly my drone over the Thames and my drone falls into the river? What if I crash it into a tree?

Of course, I do not wish any of these to happen, because I am saving the money to buy this drone for a long while and it would break my heart. The drone I will purchase is Dji Mavic Mini: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DJI-Mavic-Mini-Transmission-Lightweight/dp/B07RRMPZ4L

Any of your advice will greatly help me! It is so difficult when you do not have experience or someone to talk to about these fears.
Thank you!

What if the wind blows my drone away? Do not fly the drone when it is too windy.
What if I fly my drone over the Thames and my drone falls into the river? It is probably gone for good. But I think DJI offers an app that will allow you to locate your drone via GPS if you lose it. Assuming the drone is not underwater.
What if I crash it into a tree? You may need to repair it. Drones can be durable. It would depend on how high up you crashed it into the tree.

-There are apps and computer programs that can help you learn to fly a drone. Most of them are easy to fly. A lot of the newer drones can take off and land on their own, they will warn you if they're going out of range, many will fly back to you automatically when you recall it, and some will automatically avoid hitting objects -like trees.
-You will probably want to buy an extra battery for it. Most drone recharging time is an average of 2 - 4 hours for only half an hour of flying.
-Sooner or later you will need to repair it from wear and tear. There are many Youtube videos that will help you with this.

Drones (at least in the U.S in my area) are not returnable (once they're opened) due to the beating they can receive. Their warranties can be very little to non-existent.

If I would have a drone right now, I'll ask a teacher who has experience with drones to recommend me a class or a workshop that I could take

Network Sponsors

Back