Career Advice

C

classof'01

Hey all, first thanks to the founders of this forum.

I'm an aspiring filmmaker. Started with an iMac in 2001, went to filmschool for a month in 2007, then ran my own business for 7 years. Worked at Apple and Verizon, and decided I hated corporate life / not making things.

I'm trying to get back into the business with a plan of making my own features down the career path.

Here is the premise of my dilemma:
• Haven't really had a lot of exposure to professional filmmaking/video. When I was doing the work, I always operated in a market that was far from the worlds of NY / LA.
• I feel like practical hands-on experience is really important, since I'm that kind of learner.
• I also feel like this is a network / people business, but I really don't know where to begin because no network.

I've thought about going back to filmschool or getting a job at a production company but here are my two big concerns:
• I don't want to spend a lot of money / waste my time or potential, and,
• I don't want to get into a job where the culture / people suck(s).

Appreciate any advice or feedback you guys want to give.

Thanks in advance!

What about posting your qualifications on sites like Mandy and looking for and taking jobs working on productions? Then you can work and find the things you like doing and want to work on.

Thanks; hadn't heard of Mandy before, will check it out.

I like the idea of taking jobs on productions too.

Any other good sites I should know about?

Network Sponsors

Back