can I bring a video camera on a plane carry-on?

Q

quaayzar

I have to bring my sister her new video camera and I'm taking it on the plane with me tomorrow... I'm a little afraid to put it in my suitcase, but will they confiscate it if I take it carry-on?

they wont confiscate it if you bring it on the carry on, but they will open it up and look inside..

basicly they will look inside the tape deck section.... and pass it through the xray scanner...

The only think I've got to tell you is, dont pass you're tapes through the xray scanner... and also make sure that your battery is detatched from your camera before you pass it through.

The Xray will cause electrical interferance which will record some fuzz onto your tape.

Also tapes are sensitive to Xrays because of the silver halaide on them

besides that GL!

thanks so much for that info. I'd rather not open it thought because it's a gift. Should I just pop it in my luggage amidst much padding? Is that ok?

well you can open electronic boxes and re package them quite easily.. but yea if its a gift, put it away, no one will ask anything. Just have a good lock ;)

don't take anything on a plane locked

don't take anything on a plane locked

i don't agree with this lock idea at all. not good. not right. i don't think it is smart to take anything on a plan locked up. More than likely you will have to unlock it for a search. jus topen it let them see and repack it and tell your loved one that it had to be searched me it is still new and for you.

Camera on plane

Camera on plane

Yes, you can and should carry on your camera. You can use a camera bag or something less expensive. Just provide some sort of padding to protect it from imbeciles who cram stuff into the overheads. As a matter of fact, if you can, keep the camera under the seat in front of you and avoid the overhead compartments altogether. Do not put into anything that locks. That will cause problems at security and never, never check your camera. I travel quite a bit shooting and I have never had a problem with security check-in X-rays fogging tape. However, do not put your tapes in checked baggage because checked bags can be put through very powerful X-rays that can damage tape--the machines at the security check-in area are much weaker. Good luck. JimT

thanks everyone!

thanks everyone!

I ended up taking it carry-on and they asked me to open it but it really was no biggie. My sis is thrilled. Merci!

Network Sponsors

Back