Cameras and Audio

writegirl

Hi:

I have a borrowed camera to start practicing but would prefer to buy my own. I'm looking at the Sony DCR-VX2100, Canon GL2, JVC GY DV300U. Any thoughts or recommendations? In the descriptions it looks like only the JVC camera has XLR inputs for plugging in a mike. If I went with a different camera how would I hook up an external mike?

Also, it looks like none of these cameras shoot at 24 frames per second. When I go on to make a full length movie, how does that work out?

Thanks for the help -

:)

I would stay away from the JVC. I got to test one out. Its just not well built. Its flimsy, clumsily, big, and its mic only works in mono, meaning the reason they have the XLR inputs is because you HAVE TO HAVE an external mic if you want to record in stereo sound. So unless you also want to invest in a good mic along with the camera that would make it even bulkier and more awkward, I would stay with one of the others. I really like my AG-DVC30 by panasonic. While it only has 3 1/4 inch CCD's, the pixel counts are the same, the resolutions are the same. The only difference is that the JVC's ccd's are more sensitive to light, but the AG compensates for that with the unique option of low shutter speeds that other cameras don't offer (all manual of course) as well as the No lux shooting mode which is awesome! You can shoot in black and white with NO light. Its also more compact. The JVC also has a VERY small lcd screen. I didn't think it would matter, but realized that it is helpful for those of us that can't afford an expensive monitor. I can't even begin to tell you how important it is that you TEST out these cameras before you even think about purchasing. Its essential. Good luck.

Cameras and Audio

Hi:

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it! What brand/type of external mic do you use?

By the way, what kind of lights do you use to set up interior shots? I've been reading about photoflood lights. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

:)

I'm not a mic expert, but at the top of the ladder you have anything by: Sennheiser. That's quality, and it costs money. Then below that (but still very high quality) you have Audio-Technica which I would have if I had the money to afford one of theirs. Then below that you start getting into some more "amateurish" but not totally unruly mics such as those by Azden. You should post this question in teh sound forum, I'm sure someone there could be more helpful than me. The same thing goes for the lighting question, ask Mr. Mullin or post it in the light forum.

my camera is a sony HVR-Z1P. It shoots HDV or DVCAM and comes with an attatchment that fits onto the inteligent shoe which gives you 2 xlr's. It also comes with a shotgun mic. I'd definitely recomend it, unless you want to shoot in low light, although it does have a night mode with an IR light.

I'm not a mic expert, but at the top of the ladder you have anything by: Sennheiser. That's quality, and it costs money.

To be fair though, a good mike is a fraction of the cost of a good camera and could last you a couple of decades if it's looked after. A 416 or MKH60 will give good sound in most situations, and the 416 design has already survived a decade or more in the industry.

It shoots HDV or DVCAM and comes with an attatchment that fits onto the inteligent shoe which gives you 2 xlr's.

Sure you don't mean HVR-A1? The Z1 has two XLR inputs on the side.

Boy, you've asked some loaded questions. If you're going to attend NAB this year, you might take a seminar with Douglass Spotted Eagle. Or even better, get his DVD on sound: http://vasst.com/product.aspx?id=fa96cfc7-7a95-44cc-a143-5b7da6de3482

The thing is, you can get the best mic out there and still record crap sound. Douglass can not only give you great options in purchasing equipment, but important lessons in sound recording.

My vote for camera: Panasonic AG-HVX200: http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...d=15768&modelNo=AG-HVX200&surfModel=AG-HVX200

It's more pricey than the ones you're looking at, but yikes it's nice!

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com

Network Sponsors

Back