camera and short cost

A

acl812

camera and short cost
i am an aspiring screenwriter/filmaker. my strength is writing which i have done for 19 years. . now i would like to film a short approx 15 to 18 minutes long of a script i wrote and i have a few questions.

1. i have a sony dcr-vx2100 is this a sufficent camera since i read and hear so much about so many others, canon xl's for example. what type of quality can i expect with my camera. will it look cheesy like a home videotape?

2. also since i don't have a lot of money, how much would it cost to shoot a quality piece. i don't have any other equipment (except editing software) and would most likely be renting it. (actors and food would not be an issue either.) i know there are so many variables to answering this question but i would like a ballpark answer if possible.

thanks,
aArOn

Well first off let me suggest for anyone who wants to do this for a living, learn to love spending money. Cause you have to no matter what... and if you get good enough you will actually make that back pretty fast.

Cameras: Panasonic HVX200. Simply the best for film. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Look at the Screengrabs/Videos. Simply amazing. Search my screenname there and you'll pull a couple videos I shot recently.

Post, Apple and Final Cut Studio, the only way to go.. trust me on that.

Costs to consider when preparing your budget:
1. shotgun mic and/or lavelier mic rental (also rent a boom or you can use a telescoping light bulb replacer like we do). Look in the Yellow Pages for Video Production to find an equipment rental company and see what they charge. Watch some student shorts online and you'll see how much bad sound will hurt a movie.
2. XLR cable purchase or rental (connects camera to mic)
3. portable t.v. to use as a monitor and a 50' video or audio/video cable to go from camera to monitor. You want to have another pair of eyes besides the camera man's watching what's being filmed.
4. wardrobe/costumes
5. props
6. light kit rental or lots of shop lights
7. something reflective to use as a bounce board (reflector)

Question: Why no money for actors or food? Are you going to use your friends and family for actors? We have found they usually aren't very good actors and it's hard to have a quality piece with bad actors. Also, plenty of food and drinks helps keep unpaid actors happy. :D

Network Sponsors

Back