burning dvd

C

cronopio

hi,

i always burned my dvds in Premiere, but now when i try to do the program show the message:
"recording error, device not ready"

What is the problem?

thanks a lot

(sorry for my terrible english...) :?

Can you post some configuration details?

Also...did you change anything with your system around the time it stopped working?

In the past when I've seen something like this, I've had to reinstall the burning software that came with the DVD drive (MyDVD or Veritas (whatever) and it must have fixed drivers or something as it started to work again...

Hi Tim, thanks for your answer. I think something strange is happening, I can burn dvd in other programs (such Adobe Encore DVD) but when I try to do it in Premiere I receive the messae:recording error, device not ready.

configuration: DVD drive - LG (I don't know more details..)
Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM - Windows XP

thanks a lot

I do know that there are simply some burners that don't work properly with that direct-burn feature. If you can burn with other utilities, you may want to check the Adobe site as there are a couple of updates to handle various oddities with the encoding/burning portion of Ppro...

its another question in that topic but, i edited my film using premiere pro but when i choose "export to dvd" its quality becomes really poor. I tried all advanced options in exporting, like progressive high quality etc. etc. Do i need something like adobe encore dvd or can i manage burning best quality dvds with premiere and how?

yes. firstly i must say that i have a lots of color and other effects on my film which i shot with panasonic nvgs 140. then when i exported that 3 min. film as a "movie" into the computer it became about 7 gb. when i watched this 7gb film, it was what i see in editing, i mean the colours and pixels weren't "noisy". But when i tried to export to dvd, it was not more then 300mbs and what i mean with poor quality is some color changes in dense areas (about color) and a general noise (counting pixels) on the image. i must send this film to a competition on dvd so please help me and thank you.

3 minutes=7 Gigabytes?

Is this a high def movie? I'm not familiar with the camera you mentioned...

When you see these issues with the DVD, are you looking on the computer monitor, or are you watching it on a television?

It sounds as if you've simply exceeded the acceptable color saturation for video if the colors are showing.

Again, I need to know what the project settings are in Premiere please, and I want to know what the settings were when you exported the master clip...and I want to know how you compressed it for DVD and the settings...for me to continue to guess is not very productive.

the camera is not hd, its 2.3mp 3 ccd.
i see it from computer monitor.
i don't know if its related but i have lots of divided screen and keying effects. can this be the reason for 7 gb.
where that color problem happens is black and white. edges become yellow while moving object.
in project settings i see editing mode:dv playback, 25fps. frame size:720Hor 576Vert. Pixel aspect ratio:DV1/DV PAL(1.067) (im outside usa) ,Lower Field First. Title safe area: 20% hor 20% vert. action safe arena is same. its captured by 1394. rendering comp:dv(pal) and millions of colours.
when i exported as movie its settings were type:microsoft avi. non compressed with millions+ color. frame size 720h 576v 4:3 25fps. pixel aspect ratio:d1/dv pal(1.067). not limited data rate and recompress. rendering lower fields first.
when i export to dvd, i made custom preset which maybe i made everything maximized like
Comment: High quality, CBR transcoding of Progressive-frame content

Video Summary:
Codec: MainConcept MPEG Video
Quality: 5.00 (high quality)
TV Standard: PAL
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Frame Rate: 25 fps
Program Sequence: Progressive
Bitrate Encoding: CBR
Bitrate (Mbps): 9.0000 (high quality)
M Frames: 5
N Frames: 15

I probably told unnecessary things also. Thank you again.

OK, you're DV PAL...

First, DV is 8 bit-no alpha...millions+ of colors is for an alpha channel and creates a larger filesize unnecessarily.

Your DVD data rate is set pretty high for compatibility purposes...data rates above 6 Mbps can be incompatible on some DVD players.

I might also try exporting interlaced to DVD if you shot the content interlaced...you're giving up a significant amount of picture resolution if you are exporting progressive from an interlaced timeline...as your project settings state.

As far as the color and contrast problems...do you use the vectorscope and waveform monitors to measure your video levels? It still sounds like your colors and contrast levels are simply out-of-gamut and are causing issues.

Television can only handle a fraction of the color saturation and contrast level of your computer display. This is the reason for the waveform and vectorscope tools right in the software.

Also...you still didn't tell me where you're viewing the DVDs to see the problems...a set-top DVD player running to a televison, or are you playing them on your computer?

It was an unbelievable mistake not to look at waveform and vectorscope especially while sending something to a competition. I want to say everyone take a lesson from this but i think it was really easy.
Now color problems are ok and i chose a ready preset rather than a custom one which is PAL DV High Quality 7 mb VBR 2 Pass. It's noise is acceptable (not good as 7gb but as you said, i think i can't use it anywhere like a dvd player) and i think it results from some crops and scales.
I'm watching the result from my computer screen not from a tv.
If there's anything else i can do, like some changings in presets please let me know.

I would just verify results on a standard television...

The conversion from DV to MPEG2 shouldn'y involve any cropping or scaling. The framesize should be exactly the same...720x576...as long as you have a PAL preset as you point out.

If noise is somehow still an issue (beyond any noise that was just IN the video in the first place BTW) there is a noise reduction feature in the Adobe Media Encoder, but I would use it sparingly and I would do some short tests first.

I watched my final dvd on a tv and there's not any noise like on computer screen.
I was talking about scalings and croppings that I made as an effect. So it reduces the quality little bit of course, but there's not any losses on framesizes on tv screen.
So all problems are solved. Thank you.

Network Sponsors

Back