Best camera for low-light horror flicks...

crazy4horror

Hi all,

I've been reading up on cameras to try to determine which model to choose, but there's so many variables anymore that I just don't know what to do. I've read that if shooting SD, get a PAL camera as it's close to 24 fps if you ever need to get it converted to 35mm film, yet others recommend 24p, etc. So, I'd love some input from you guys.

Here's some specifics which may help...

This will be a horror flick with plenty of low-light scenes. Probably about half the movie will be shot in low-light. This will be shot "mockumentary" style...does this permit getting away with one of the new 3-chip consumer-grade cameras? Is the quality difference between these and the prosumer models really that much to justify the price difference? Or is the issue not so much as just having 3 CCDs, but needing them to be the larger CCDs as you'd get in a prosumer camera for the best light pickup?

One of the scenes requires two cameras to do it right, so I'd love to just outright buy both cameras which I could do if I can get away with the new consumer 3-chip cameras. Otherwise, I'll need to buy one prosumer camera to practice on and then rent an identical one as camera #2 come shoot time.

Considering much of it is shot in low-light anyway, am I correct in thinking SD vs. HD doesn't really matter in this case and that SD should be fine for this project?

Is shooting 24p or in PAL's 25fps required if you ever need it converted to 35mm film or can that be done in other formats too?

Thanks!

I haven't had a chance to mess around with too many expensive cameras but out of the ones I did end up using I haven't noticed a huge difference in the way they treat low light situtions.

I think most of what will determine how good your images look in low light is the aperture size, whether you use high shutter speed (bad idea), or gain (really bad idea).

As for what you can get away with on a mockumentary. I am under the impression that you can get away with anything on a mockumentary as long as the sound is high quality. You can play the cheap look of your images as part of the intent.

I would say get a DVX100, but I really think you could get away with even less.

Thanks, MRoytman.

Thanks, MRoytman.

I appreciate the input!

That's very interesting that the difference in low-light situations may not be all that significant. Also, I just read that the AG-DVC30 is the only 3-chip camera with an infra-red B/W mode for low/no light shots which sounds like it could prove interesting, but there were no reviews of how well that mode works unfortunately.

Yes, I've been reading up on sound as well and how important it is to ensure it's one of the strong points for the movie. So if I can save on the cameras, it will allow me to put some more towards a better mic. :D

http://dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/

I say DVX100. Or don't bother with 24p cams and get Magic Bullet Editors. Here's what I say:

Sony VX1000 - $1200

Magic Bullet Editors - $400

Sennheiser ME66 Shotgun Mic - $450

The total package will cost about $2000.

Network Sponsors

Back