Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Yes (Composer)

• Yes (Nitris)

• Total voters
I've been using Premeire Pro to edit, or at least trying to. The rendering process is so ridiculously long, i cant seem to get anything done. Is the rendering process on Avid or FCP faster and more efficient, or will i find it to be slow on all professional editing software?

-Mark

Well Mark, here's the deal.

To start with... on page 1 of this post, you'll find a great comparison/contrast of FCP, Avid and Premeire.

However, to answer your question in short... Yes or Yes and Yes.

For one, all professional editing software will have longer rendering times... because they deliver professional quality performances, and that just takes some time... the more ram you have, and the fater processor... the less time it'll take.

Secondly, Avid and FCP are both much more efficient that Premeire. The Adobe line of products (ie: premeire, after effects, etc.) have always been ram-hogs. Meaning, that their render time, and the amount of work they make the computer do... does not equate to the quality of product they present in the end.

Also, Avid and FCP are both much faster in many ways... in comparison to Premeire. For the same reason as above... and basically it just comes down to two major reasons why Premeire isn't up-to-par with FCP and Avid.

#1 - Premeire is not a true "Professional" editing system. While it does have many professional uses, and is used to varying degrees in various parts of the industry... Premeire can best be described as a semi-pro software. It still has many of the qualities, including visual image quality, that consumer level programs generate... as well, it has some professional options; like multiple video and audio tracks that can be expanded for more options & some limited compositing.

#2 - Premeire is just not programed as well as FCP and Avid. This is most evident in the over-all end-product visual quality. I can watch a thousand videos, and if only ten in that thousand are edited with premeire, it will be quickly evident. There is just a certain way that premeire treats visual images... and it's almost like it's stamped a logo on the image... it just isn't good enough for the highest end application (like film editing). Also, the way it abuses the processing power of your computer... hoging all of the system resources, and abusing your RAM... Premeire is just not up to the task of competing with FCP and Avid. Premeire Pro is a program that is meant to compete with FCP 4.5 HD, and Avid Express Pro... but in reality, it's more comparable to FCP-Express, and Avid Express DV.

If you have the money, I would seriously suggest investing in either an Avid Express or a Final Cut Pro program... even the lower end versions of this software are much more efficient thatn Premiere.

If you're on a PC, definetly go for an Avid system...
if you're on a Mac, then it's up to you... try to find somewhere (like an Avid Reseller who also deals in FCP... common occurance) where you can demo both products... find the one that has the best editing work-flow for yourself.

Visit the avid website, and search for a local re-seller near you... then juts contact them... they'll sell to anyone, and usually they're not interested in pushing a product on someone that they wont want or need... they just love to demo the products, and sell what will work best financially and artistically for the client.

Good luck, and happy editing! :)

Avid Xpress Pro

Avid Xpress Pro

I noticed that several of you are interested in purchasing an Avid software package...I'm not sure if you realize this or not, but as long as you are an active student you can purchase Avid Xpress Pro at a substantial discount. I believe it is about $399. A very good deal. Check it out.
I would also like to say that I love Avid, it's reliable, and stable, and it never fails me. It does most everything I desire to do, and I consider it a good friend. (HA). Take care.

Note that, if I remember correctly, the educational version of Avid doesn't come with the extra software, manuals, etc: of course that probably won't matter to you given the size of the discount!

Oh, and I just got my Xpress Pro system set up at home: there was a discount offer last month in the UK for people who owned other editing programs to switch to Avid, and combined with the fact that I could then skip upgrading Premiere and save another few hundred pounds that way it wasn't a bad deal.

Now I need to learn to use it properly :).

Avid

Avid

I can’t complain that much about Avid. Actually I’ve groan to both appreciate and respect it. I started on Premiere Pro and moved to FCP before going to Avid. After giving Avid some time and a good chance, I find myself not wanting to look back. On the surface, FCP and Premiere drag and drop are easier to work with. But I find that Avid just requires thinking a little differently when cutting (which is a benefit). Its more designed with the editor’s thinking process in mind (like the flatbeds) which really helps one think and feel out a scene. I’ve personally found it more intuitive and easy to use once I got it down. And Avid did incorporated all the drag and drop capabilities of the others.

Nothing wrong with old school style or 80’s style if it really works out to benefit the editor. One can’t be too critical of a system that was aged and built on the failures and success of many generations of editors and filmmakers that came before all of us. I welcome change, but, not all change is good.

Hi, newbie here.

Can anyone tell me if Avid Express will work on a Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G PC Desktop? And how does one find that info? Thanks. :)

Tina

The only way to guarantee it will work is to buy an Avid-certified system. However, it works fine on my PC which I put together myself, and I suspect it will work on most.

That system doesn't seem to have Firewire, and you'd want a second hard disk just for video: but Firewire cards are dirt cheap and 250-300GB drives can probably be bought for about $150 these days, so it's not a big deal.

The one big issue is that it has an ATI graphics card. For some reason that's never been adequately explained, Avid only really support nvidia cards. I use an ATI card in my system and it works, but Avid disables some of the fancy 3D effects.

Thanks for answering, Mark. Actually, it does have a firewire port right in front -- my digital camera is plugged into it right now.

I am in the process of getting a quote for having it upgraded with a faster processor and another 200 gig hard drive (7200 RPM). Also, an upgrade from 1 gig of RAM to 2, and the installation of an nvidea card, so I guess I'm doing the right things. :)

The reason why I asked if it was compatible is that some here seem to have access to a list, or something? How do I find that list of compatible systems?

BTW, to get a basic idea of whether it will work, you can always download the Avid 'Free Dv' software. That's a really cut-down 'demo' version of Xpress Pro, but it will capture by firewire and do basic editing and effects.

Network Sponsors

Back