audio question

U

uberLC

I know this is supposed to be in the "Audio" forum, but there aren't many posts there so...

I'm just wondering how I can achieve audio similar to hollywood films.
I'm using an external mic but I still don't get that deep audio feeling

Well, one obvious point is that a Hollywood movie might have 30 or more tracks all mixed together, and then played back in a 5.1 sound system. A lot of time and money goes into making a good soundtrack, you can't just record one track on the camera and expect it to sound as good as Hollywood... you'll need atmosphere tracks, foley tracks, effects tracks and so on if you want a good result, and may end up removing everything from the original track except the dialog and replacing it all with sound recorded elsewhere.

when I record, it's only for dialogue and maybe some atmosphere tracks.. but the dialogue doesn't sound as good. I use foley sounds and a lot of soundtracks.

You should also look into different microphones.
Each microphone has it's own style of capturing the audio... for instance an SM-57 is a bit higher pitched & lighter toned, sounding a bit on the tin side of things... where as the SM-58 captures a deeper range with more mid-range feeling, allowing for a warmer sound...
Honestly, I'm not really recommending those mic's to you... as those are commonly used in music due to their hardy nature...
SHURE makes a nice shot-gun microphone that can double as a boom (sorry I forget the #)...

Another thing to consider is your overall sound mix...
you can get a better and deeper sound by leaving your sound some room... mixing your sound to a digital decible level of -10 to -20 db for the more average sounds will allow your louder sounds (ie: gunshots, explosions, musical creschendo, etc.) to blast from the speakers without getting too hot.

Hope this helps... Good luck!

Network Sponsors

Back