AG-DVX100A

From my experience... yes, this would tend to be true...

Mostly due to the fact that I find the menu & operation as well as the camera design much more intuitive than Cannon's design.

Also, the traditionally "boxy" style, as opposed to the "dog-legged" style of the XL seeries, is also something I find more intuitive & easy to use/handle.

Those are my opinions on this comparison... I'll ask Jeff to comment on this, as he would have better experience with both camera's, as he is my official DP for all of my work to date. I will add though, that as someone who knows how to use a camera yet doesn't often run the camera, I find the DVX much easier to use.

As a note, I have not yet been able to use to the XL2 but as to what was said at the workshop in LA, it hasn’t changed much except the 24p capabilities (correct me if I am wrong on the major changes)

The DVX is without a doubt a much easier camera to handle and use. For one, it isn’t back heavy like the XL series; it is an extremely well balanced camera. I like to think of it as akin to a sword, you don’t want to have your weapon to be unbalanced, it affects your craft.

The menu system is much more intuitive, I had to spend much more time learning (I even had to pull out the manual) the XL. The DVX on the other hand, seemed to be intuitive and just following logic got me to where I needed to be. Additionally, the mode wheel on the back of the DVX is a very nice way to give easy access to changing modes. The DVX just has a much shorter learning curve.

Even though you are able to get different lenses for the XL, I have been unable, save for the wide-angle lens, to try any of the others out. But the standard lens on the XL1 was absolutely horrible, and I much prefer the DVX's lens. It is easier to focus and seems to be smoother all around. But I am sure that there are much better lenses out there that are far beyond anything the DVX's Lens can be, they just cost more money.

Hope this helps answer your question.

I expect the successor to the GL2 (GL3/if there is one) to mark the demise of the DVX.
If the GL series continues the trend of mimicking the XL series' features, like frame rate, aspect ratio, higher optical zoom, etc. the GL series will unquestionably silence those who complain about the XL's balance issues, and provide those users who prefer a small boxed body design, yet all of the XL features...that will be the DVX killer 8)
From there, an entirely new line of HD/HDV cameras will come into play, starting an entirely different battle, in which JVC, Sony, and Pansonic have already declared war, yet there's still no sign from Canon...

Good point, but I am not totally convinced that the market (ie consumer and prosumer) are really going to go for HDV. Sure there is alot of hype, but when it comes down to it, people just arent going to want to spend the extra money for something that they cant even watch on their current TVs. Maybe it will catch on once HD televisions are wide spread, but it will have to last long enough for that to happen.

As far as the GL3 completely killing the DVX...if it comes out to what it has the potential to be, then i completely agree. When though, has a company ever done it perfectly? We will just wait and see i guess.

Network Sponsors

Back