buy dvx100a or rent hvx200

A

amdelo

here's the thing...

im looking into making a short film that hopefully will get around and maybe get me some work. im trying to decide what to do about the camera situation. i have enough money to buy a either new/used DVX100a, or i can use the money to rent a hvx200. unfortunately, its not enough money to buy a hvx200.

im not even considering hdv because it's essentially useless unless you stream it as uncompressed HD to your computer (this is coming from some industry professionals), so id rather just go HD or not. the up side of using the dvx100 is i would be able to keep it and possibly make other shorts (or whatever.) and i know that some industry professionals who actually use it to make music videos and other things for tv, (although transferring to film, i am not aware of). im not worried about the hvx200 b/c ive actually had the opportunity to work with it and it is a great camera. i guess there are post-production concerns that must be considered with both cameras.

i am unsure of the output of this project at this point. It would probably be tape (to festivals) and maybe a film output eventually (if i ever get that kind of money to transfer it) which has me leaning towards the HVX200, b/c true HD seems to be considered as the only form of video that can be transfered with good quality to film. all things considered, i need some advice...

If you are already an experienced camera person, you should probably just rent the best HD camera you can afford for your short and shoot it within a tight schedule to make the rental affordable. Just plan the shoot very well.

However, if you are a beginner, I'd buy the DVX100B because you can shoot and reshoot, shoot tests, shoot more shorts, etc. whatever it takes to learn and improve. Don't get obsessed with shooting on the best equipment at this point.

Network Sponsors

Back