ADVICE: SONY HVR Z1E or JVC GY HD100E?

fiammetta.n

:?: I have to buy a camcorder and I cannot make an end decision between Sony HVR Z1U & JVC GYHD100E.
Anyone had already tried both and he can give some good advice?
Thanks a lot
From Milan
Katanga :lol: :?: :?:

I haven't used the HD100, but I do own a Z1, and it should be hard to go wrong with either. The Z1 shoots 1080-line HD footage, but only interlaced, the HD100 shoots 720 line, but progressive-scan. The Z1 has a fairly decent fixed lens (but which does get some chromatic abberation at times), the HD100 lets you change lenses, but new lenses will probably be expensive. The Z1 looks like a big consumer camera, which may be useful if you're trying to shoot without getting too much attention, the HD100 should be easier to use hand-held with the shoulder mount.

About the only bad thing I've heard about the HD100 so far are people claiming that the color balance changes across the frame. I don't know whether that was a fault of the prototypes or still exists in the production models.

Thanks MarkG

Thanks MarkG

Ciao Mark, thanks for the advices.
When you are shooting with HD system can you shoot just 16:9 or the 4:3 too and is it true that the Camcorder HD didn't shoot when there isn't too much light? What about the Z1?
Ciao e grazie

HDV is 16:9 only. The Z1 can downconvert to 4:3 DV, but that's the only way to shoot 4:3 on it.

The Z1 is a bit weak in low light, but you can turn the gain up a bit without obvious artifacts.

Network Sponsors

Back