Adding more details to my script?

Madboy

I have been told that each page in a screenplay equals one minute on the screen. I'm a beginner screenwriter and the film I have in mind is probably five minutes long but the script is only two pages, does that mean it lacks details? Or have I missed out on the basics of screenwriting?

In the screenplay I have included location, characters, dialogue and action so I am not sure what I'm particularly missing and I would appreciate any help!

Ahhhhh-- no.

The "one page one minute" rule is like the the groundhog seeing his shadow.

Maybe it means something, maybe not.

Action? even with an actual incident described:

A wild chase against traffic through city streets, the fleeing limo nearly collides with the oncoming big-rig

last as long as the director sees fit. 2 lines-- 3 minutes.

On the other hand, a desperate declaration of Love may take a page and a half, what with description breaks, and last 30 seconds by the clock.

So 87 to 120 pages FOR A SPEC SCRIPT is the norm.

It Depends

It Depends

It really really depends on the nature of the script you're writing. Bottom line I've always been told is that you should put just enough detail in there so that the director or whoever first reads your script can see the scene play out.
The tricky thing here is that if you put too many details in, you risk cluttering your script and/or directing the film. The former is bad because it turns readers off and makes them skim. The latter is bad because it tends to irritate directors.
So my advice: let somebody read it. Someone you trust, but not someone who will want to coddle you. It's the only way to know what's wrong with the script. At least it works for me.

A page of script equals a minute of video generally but there are some exceptions.
Think of "The Office". On the old episodes of the show there used to be those long awkward pauses. But those pauses may last longer on film than they do written.
A good way to see if your script is worth 5 minutes is to act out your image of the final product in your head. If you're writing the script, you should be able to imagine the camera angles, act breaks etc. Does your image last 5 real-world minutes? If not, add some extra dialogue, try making scenes with lengthy pauses (like The Office example above), but don't add anything that strays away from the central script or filler.

Network Sponsors

Back