Acting help!

Lewis_)

Just like to introduce myself! Im Lewis, 16 from england, and this year i have applied for college. I recently applied for a local college suitable for me, studying / learning Performance Arts ; acting.

I recieved a letter through the post knowing of my application, following the message;

Candidates must prepare

a) Two contrasting speeches from different plays, one of which must have been written in the last ten years.

b) Each selection should be no more than two minuted in length and suitable for the candidates gender, age and experience.

All speeches should be from published plays. Experpts from film, film script, television dramas and unpublished play are not acceptable.

You should have read the whole of the play from which a speech is taken and be able to provide the correct title, name of the author and translator. You may be asked questions about the plot or to describe the scenes immediatly before and after your speech or discuss the play's content, motives of characters etc.

It is important that the selection is suitable for your gender and age. It is also preferable that its content and nature are something you can relate to and understand. It is advisable to attempt an accent or dialogue only if u are entirely confident of its accuracy and if it is appropriate to the speech.

Any performance choices you make it should be justifiable within the text. The performance should reveal an understanding of the scene and character and an ability to create and share appropriate emotions and atmosphere.

Im asking for help / tips / helping with preparation for this interview / audition! It means so much to me :/
Thanks SO MUCH for reading, and thanks in advance for the help!!

Cheers, Lewis!

:)

1) Follow their specs to the T.

2) Research and select the material yourself. Be open to others' suggestions, but I think the closer you are to the material and the more passionate you are about what you will be performing, the more enjoyable it will be and the more enlightening.

3) Understand the material and be creative in your delivery [of the character(s), story, and message].

4) Memorize/practice/rehearse.

5) Perform in front of test audiences. (Suggestions: family, friends, and teachers.)

6) When you practice in front of others, don't feel shot down by constructive criticism. Ask for constructive criticism and feedback. Use it to your advantage.

7) Remember to utilize your space well. (Don't stand still like a statue.)

8) Assuming you only have bare bones minimum to work with: Record your voice with a recorder and/or record your performance with a digital still camera that records video and/or consumer camcorder - whatever you have handy. (You can even use your computer or cellphone!) Record, watch, analyze, and improve your speech/performance.

9) Keep a journal and document your experiences, questions, answers, and progress.

10) Have fun with the entire process - from researching the speeches/plays to practicing to documenting to finally auditioning.

Good luck!

Network Sponsors

Back